lsass.exe PROBLEM

todd78

Beta member
When i start up my computer it will sometimes tell me that "C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe" terminated unexpectedly with a status code 1073741819" Initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. And then gives me 60 seconds before it restarts. Once it restarts and I try to logon it then tells me I have to activate my copy of Windows before I can continue using it. I have done some research and google comes up with loads of info on the sasser worm of around 2004, I did a synmantic sasser worm search and came up with nothing. I use xp service pack 2, im using a firewall and virsus protection.
I have no idea why this is happening or how to fix it, any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for reading

I used to have this problem when I used Bell Sympatico's Access Manager on Windows XP, try just using its built in connection system to make a new connection, if that doesn't work do these steps.

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type cmd.exe
4. Click Ok
5. Wait for Command-Prompt to load
6. Type "shutdown.exe -a"
7. Press enter
8. Thank me.

Hope it helps^^

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a codec again. ISASS.exe is what I had.
If you go to program files there should be a CODEC folder. open it and one file should say isaunin.exe

*thats exactly what happened to me now that I think about it.*

Double click it, your comp will restart. delete the folder.

-Q

oh yeah...

if you cant delete the folder
if you go to task manager (ctrl alt del.) you will see a bunch of isa processes, right click one and end process tree.

then delete.

Captain Pooka said:
oh yeah...

if you cant delete the folder
if you go to task manager (ctrl alt del.) you will see a bunch of isa processes, right click one and end process tree.

then delete.

Take care not to delete the one with lowercase l as its a system file and ya need it

Captain Pooka said:
I could be wrong, but it sounds like a codec again. ISASS.exe is what I had.
If you go to program files there should be a CODEC folder. open it and one file should say isaunin.exe

*thats exactly what happened to me now that I think about it.*

Double click it, your comp will restart. delete the folder.

-Q
I scanned my computer and there is no CODEC folder

samurai said:
Could you search your PC for a file named "lsass.exe" and see what it doeS?
"lsass.exe" is the Local Security Authentication Server. It verifies the validity of user logons to your PC/Server. It generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service. This process is performed by using authentication packages such as the default Msgina.dll. If authentication is successful, Lsass generates the user's access token, which is used to launch the initial shell. Other processes that the user initiates inherit this token.

todd78 said:
"lsass.exe" is the Local Security Authentication Server. It verifies the validity of user logons to your PC/Server. It generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service. This process is performed by using authentication packages such as the default Msgina.dll. If authentication is successful, Lsass generates the user's access token, which is used to launch the initial shell. Other processes that the user initiates inherit this token.

Yeah thats right but there is a virus that calls itself the same(it changes the lower case l for an i so they look similar) Im still waiting to hear if he has done a full sysyem scan with upto date definitions

Back
Top Bottom