"low On Virtual Memory"

Poop_Hole

Banned
I am running on a dell dimension 3000 with windows xp. I got a message saying "LOW ON VIRTUAL MEMORY" and some other things a long with that. It also has been running slow. What does this mean? What do I need to do?

How much space do you have left on your main drive partition?

If you have enough, you can use some hard drive space for temporary memory when the computer needs it, so its not always relying on the limited RAM space.

Go to the Control Panel, and open up System:
Go to the Advanced tab when the window opens up.

Click on Settings where it says Performance.

Go to the Advanced tab on this window also, and click on Change next to Virtual Memory at the bottom.

Now, it is best to set it to System Managed Size, but if this is set, and its still coming up with that, select Custom, and make the minimum around half of the recommended amount, and maxiumum slightly above the recommended amount (obviously, don't be stupid with this figure)

Now click Apply, and exit, and you may have to restart too.

How much space do you have left on your main drive partition?

If you have enough, you can use some hard drive space for temporary memory when the computer needs it, so its not always relying on the limited RAM space.

Go to the Control Panel, and open up System:
Go to the Advanced tab when the window opens up.

Click on Settings where it says Performance.

Go to the Advanced tab on this window also, and click on Change next to Virtual Memory at the bottom.

Now, it is best to set it to System Managed Size, but if this is set, and its still coming up with that, select Custom, and make the minimum around half of the recommended amount, and maxiumum slightly above the recommended amount (obviously, don't be stupid with this figure)

Now click Apply, and exit, and you may have to restart too.

I was thinking about putting in more ram would that fix it?

Yes it would for some part, but the hard drive is still used I believe for temporary storage along side the RAM, so this is still needed I believe.

hmmm...maybe you can breed this crappy computer with some high end computer from your local best buy and get some little widdle new computers that you can self-breed and get even FASTER computers and then self-breed THOSE AND

HOLY CRAP! EVEN FASTER!

eugenics ftl...

like why would you make some eugenics video when you would probably be one of the first ones to get your genitals removed to prevent you from spreading your bloody genes...

btw, if your computer says that, you have way too high expectations for your computer

or you just suck at managing your computer. why dont you try what Kage said before saying anything else? cuz Kage freaking already shoved the freaking answer in your face.

sry but lordlactose is some serious garbage.

hmmm...maybe you can breed this crappy computer with some high end computer from your local best buy and get some little widdle new computers that you can self-breed and get even FASTER computers and then self-breed THOSE AND

HOLY CRAP! EVEN FASTER!

semantics ftl...

like why would you make some semantics video when you would probably be one of the first ones to get your genitals removed to prevent you from spreading your bloody genes...

btw, if your computer says that, you have way too high expectations for your computer

or you just suck at managing your computer. why dont you try what Kage said before saying anything else? cuz Kage freaking already shoved the freaking answer in your face.

wow thanx for harrasing me for no reasonm aren't we all entitled to our views? What did I ever do to you, to deserve this?

He is reffering to my videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/lordlactose

Oh an Kage I gave you rep for helping me thanx!!

HOLY CRAP! EVEN FASTER!

eugenics ftl...

like why would you make some eugenics video when you would probably be one of the first ones to get your genitals removed to prevent you from spreading your bloody genes...

What's your problem? If you can't help, don't post. :rolleyes:

spywarebanisher, you need to switch to decaf. We already spoke our peace in his other thread so it wasn't wise to bring it up as you found out.

Ok to answer the OP question. Kage is right close. If you set it to let windows manage it then it will fluctuate in size. If you set it to custom set it to start and end with the same amount. That is 1.5 times the total physical ram you have installed. As you multi task if the system runs out of room in the physical ram it will shove off files and other things to the space reserved on the hard drive. Page file, virtual memory, or swapper it's best to keep an eye on it and from time to time defrag it. Standard defraggers don't touch the reserved space on the drive. You can Google for page file defraggers. Also from time to time you might benefit from clearing out the prefetch cache. It gets messy sometimes and just needs to be cleared.

I did a quick check on the dell you have and it also uses onboard video. That's robbing part of the ram you know. Might want to consider getting a decent pci vid card to take the load off the memory and the cpu.
And finally run ccleaner in safe mode. Majorgeeks.com has findjunkfiles which is another good drive cleaner. When the virtual memory is set to let windows run it and it's running out of free space on the drive it can trigger the message you got.

Back
Top Bottom