low fps on brand new computer

rocksta828

Beta member
HELP!! Low frames per second on brand new computer

i just bought a P4 640 prescott 3.2 ghz processor with a 6800gt nvidia card...and when i play CS:S (or any other high quality game) i get about 30 fps average with like 17fps when i encounter an enemy and start firing. Does anyone have any idea why my system is running so poorly? My friend who has a 2600 amd chip with an older ati 9600 card is getting an average of 75 fps...

try updating the drivers and if you already did that try rolling them back and see how it runs.

have you configured the settings properly?
and adjusted the computer?
and did you install the software before you installed the hardware?

My processor does run very hot...that could be it. Its running at a scorching 78 degrees celsius..but my new heatsink and fan is in the mail to replace my stock heatsink and fan. Once that comes in i'm going to slap on my artic silver 5 and hopefully all my problems will go away...and i uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers so its not the drivers.

rocksta828 said:
My processor does run very hot...that could be it. Its running at a scorching 78 degrees celsius..but my new heatsink and fan is in the mail to replace my stock heatsink and fan. Once that comes in i'm going to slap on my artic silver 5 and hopefully all my problems will go away...and i uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers so its not the drivers.

Ahh! Those temps are very high, even for the mighty P4.... HOLY... yeah, cool it down. What are your graphics card's temps?

today i put on my new heatsink and fan and some arctic silver 5 and it brought my temperature down to 60 celsius. I am happy to report that i scored about 1000 more points on 3d mark 05 with the lower temperature. My gpu temp is 68C (i think this increased for some reason...) I need to replace the stock fans on my case to lower the system temperature cuz i believe the system temp is around 54C...after the stock fans are replaced i will start overclocking everything.

The 6800GT has two power connectors. Try connecting both if you have the wires from the power supply. I heard that this could POSSIBLY lower the temperatures. The 6800GT does run rather hot anyways.

Kuberr said:
The 6800GT has two power connectors. Try connecting both if you have the wires from the power supply. I heard that this could POSSIBLY lower the temperatures. The 6800GT does run rather hot anyways.
Yes, yes they do, but 68C is very high.. I am hoping that temperature is UNDER LOAD, not idle.....

Hmm, I believe the 6800GT can survive temperatures of 120C. I'm not exactly sure, but you're bound to see artifacts by then. My 6800GT ran at like 55 Idle, and then 75 load. Now, with a Zalman heatsink, it's about 50C load. :O

Kuberr said:
Hmm, I believe the 6800GT can survive temperatures of 120C. I'm not exactly sure, but you're bound to see artifacts by then. My 6800GT ran at like 55 Idle, and then 75 load. Now, with a Zalman heatsink, it's about 50C load. :O

WHOA NO!! No it cannot! No chip can take temps that high! That is 248 degrees F!! AHH!! NO!!! Actually, that is the critical redux point of CSP (where the silicon breaks down). Yes, the 6800GT can not artifcact maybe until 70-80C (depending on your chip), but it's lifetime will be greatly reduced even at those temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom