Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default loud fan

well i had about 3 fans in my computer, and it sounded really loud. i thought maybe i had too many fans so i took some out. the processor fan is unusually loud. ive had this computer for 8 months its allways been whisper quiet wwith one fan but now its mad loud. do i need a new fan or just some setting in the bios?

juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: loud fan

You could get a program like speedfan and monitor the rpms and you can slow the fan down too. But make sure that when you slow it down your processor temps don't get too high. If it does get too high and you have to keep the fan up, and you just can't stand the noise, then yes, you will need to get a new processor fan.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Is it definately the processor fan? You can check just by stopping each fan for a second with your finger (it wont slice it off or anything). Also check that there isnt a cable or something catching the blade. You could change it to a quieter fan if it bothers you so much, but its up to you. Have a look here www.quietpc.com
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
Is it definately the processor fan? You can check just by stopping each fan for a second with your finger (it wont slice it off or anything). Also check that there isnt a cable or something catching the blade. You could change it to a quieter fan if it bothers you so much, but its up to you. Have a look here www.quietpc.com
yeah thats what i did. when i got the comp it only had a processor fan and recently i added a system fan and a video card fan. it sounded loud so i stopped the sys fan and the video card fan it was still really loud. i unplugged the system fan unplugged the card fan and its still really loud. it was whisper quiet b4 and i already restarted it still really loud. its an oem fan so i think its due for replacing. ill check out the site
Old 04-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
BSOD

fan 1: 5362 rpm. i think its usually supposed to be like 2000? whats wrong. wheres the setting to lower it?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

It could be going up for a reason. What are the temps of your processor?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Wizard of Wires

Simple really. It's dirty. Get a can of air from any store that deals with computers and blow out the heatsink fins. Clean out the rest of the case while you're at it. Take a Q-tip and clean off the fan blades.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
Simple really. It's dirty. Get a can of air from any store that deals with computers and blow out the heatsink fins. Clean out the rest of the case while you're at it. Take a Q-tip and clean off the fan blades.
i just did that i think last week. i stuck the hs in the dish washer, maybe that had something to do with it. i cleaned some surface dust off the fan and no i didnt put the fan in the washer and yes i put new thermal.

i always leave my computer on, but just today i turned it off when i left the house. when i turned it back on sys temp was 22c and fan was quiet. 2200 avg rpm. its been on for about 10 min, and its already up to 4000 rpm. cpu temp 60c
Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
BSOD

i can see why its so loud. its really hot. idk why, but its using about 1% cpu and still loud. all i have open is aim and iexplore. its up to 61c im ready to bust out a watercooled hs
Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Wizard of Wires

Ok let's go another route then. First what type of thermal paste are you using and how thick is the layer between the cpu chip and the heatsink?
Next do you have any resource intensive programs running in the background?
What type of case do you have and how many case fans and which way do they blow? If you can toss up a link to the case so we can see it.
Has to be a simple problem to which there is a simple answer.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote