Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default loud fan

well i had about 3 fans in my computer, and it sounded really loud. i thought maybe i had too many fans so i took some out. the processor fan is unusually loud. ive had this computer for 8 months its allways been whisper quiet wwith one fan but now its mad loud. do i need a new fan or just some setting in the bios?
__________________

__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: loud fan

You could get a program like speedfan and monitor the rpms and you can slow the fan down too. But make sure that when you slow it down your processor temps don't get too high. If it does get too high and you have to keep the fan up, and you just can't stand the noise, then yes, you will need to get a new processor fan.
__________________

__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Golden Master
 
Raffaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,798
Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: loud fan

Is it definately the processor fan? You can check just by stopping each fan for a second with your finger (it wont slice it off or anything). Also check that there isnt a cable or something catching the blade. You could change it to a quieter fan if it bothers you so much, but its up to you. Have a look here www.quietpc.com
__________________
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default Re: loud fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
Is it definately the processor fan? You can check just by stopping each fan for a second with your finger (it wont slice it off or anything). Also check that there isnt a cable or something catching the blade. You could change it to a quieter fan if it bothers you so much, but its up to you. Have a look here www.quietpc.com
yeah thats what i did. when i got the comp it only had a processor fan and recently i added a system fan and a video card fan. it sounded loud so i stopped the sys fan and the video card fan it was still really loud. i unplugged the system fan unplugged the card fan and its still really loud. it was whisper quiet b4 and i already restarted it still really loud. its an oem fan so i think its due for replacing. ill check out the site
__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default Re: loud fan

fan 1: 5362 rpm. i think its usually supposed to be like 2000? whats wrong. wheres the setting to lower it?
__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: loud fan

It could be going up for a reason. What are the temps of your processor?
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: loud fan

Simple really. It's dirty. Get a can of air from any store that deals with computers and blow out the heatsink fins. Clean out the rest of the case while you're at it. Take a Q-tip and clean off the fan blades.
__________________
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default Re: loud fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
Simple really. It's dirty. Get a can of air from any store that deals with computers and blow out the heatsink fins. Clean out the rest of the case while you're at it. Take a Q-tip and clean off the fan blades.
i just did that i think last week. i stuck the hs in the dish washer, maybe that had something to do with it. i cleaned some surface dust off the fan and no i didnt put the fan in the washer and yes i put new thermal.

i always leave my computer on, but just today i turned it off when i left the house. when i turned it back on sys temp was 22c and fan was quiet. 2200 avg rpm. its been on for about 10 min, and its already up to 4000 rpm. cpu temp 60c
__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default Re: loud fan

i can see why its so loud. its really hot. idk why, but its using about 1% cpu and still loud. all i have open is aim and iexplore. its up to 61c im ready to bust out a watercooled hs
__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: loud fan

Ok let's go another route then. First what type of thermal paste are you using and how thick is the layer between the cpu chip and the heatsink?
Next do you have any resource intensive programs running in the background?
What type of case do you have and how many case fans and which way do they blow? If you can toss up a link to the case so we can see it.
Has to be a simple problem to which there is a simple answer.
__________________
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #11
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default Re: loud fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
Ok let's go another route then. First what type of thermal paste are you using and how thick is the layer between the cpu chip and the heatsink?
Next do you have any resource intensive programs running in the background?
What type of case do you have and how many case fans and which way do they blow? If you can toss up a link to the case so we can see it.
Has to be a simple problem to which there is a simple answer.
arctic silver 5
what do u mean by how thick> like how much thermal paste?
well whatever. heres what i did. i wiped off the paste took off the fan washed the hs and put some paste on top of the cpu and just squished it inbetween the hs and the fan.i didnt read the instructions, not sure if it had any but thats what i did by instinct.
right this second theres no fans only the hs fan. it still made noise i had one fan in the back blowing from outside to inside. and i had some cheapo fan blowing into the hs on my video card.
__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #12
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default Re: loud fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
Ok let's go another route then. First what type of thermal paste are you using and how thick is the layer between the cpu chip and the heatsink?
Next do you have any resource intensive programs running in the background?
What type of case do you have and how many case fans and which way do they blow? If you can toss up a link to the case so we can see it.
Has to be a simple problem to which there is a simple answer.
arctic silver 5
what do u mean by how thick> like how much thermal paste?
well whatever. heres what i did. i wiped off the paste took off the fan washed the hs and put some paste on top of the cpu and just squished it inbetween the hs and the fan.i didnt read the instructions, not sure if it had any but thats what i did by instinct.
right this second theres no fans only the hs fan. it still made noise i had one fan in the back blowing from outside to inside. and i had some cheapo fan blowing into the hs on my video card.
and the case, not sure what it is but it looks like one of those cases that come with the computer. its a short tower i have it because i keep my comps on the desk so i cant have really big gaming cases.
the case has a fan in the back, an empty fan slot on the front, and a window on the side that looks like someone cut it with a hacksaw. has a glass taped over it but it seems to have a little ventalation trhough the corners. its like a ghetto door.
__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #13
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: loud fan

This is what you said>
well whatever. heres what i did. i wiped off the paste took off the fan washed the hs and put some paste on top of the cpu and just squished it inbetween the hs and the fan.i didnt read the instructions, not sure if it had any but thats what i did by instinct.
This is my reply>
If you just put a dab of paste on the cpu and didn't spread it around to cover the surface of the cpu and make it evenly thick then this has got to be the problem.
Basicly you have a dab of paste in the center of the cpu chip just conducting a small area. You HAVE to spread it around making sure it's not too thin, not too thick and covering the metal cap of the cpu. Then you set down the heatsink. Give it a slight twisting motion to clear out the air and make even contact.
Then fire it up and let it run for 5 to 10 mins then take a temp reading.
__________________
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: loud fan

Another thing....you took the fan off of your heatsink correct? Since you said you put the heatsink in the dishwasher I'm assuming you took the fan off. Are you sure you installed it correctly back on the heatsink? The fan should be blowing IN towards the heatsink, you might want to check that also.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #15
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default Re: loud fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
This is what you said>
well whatever. heres what i did. i wiped off the paste took off the fan washed the hs and put some paste on top of the cpu and just squished it inbetween the hs and the fan.i didnt read the instructions, not sure if it had any but thats what i did by instinct.
This is my reply>
If you just put a dab of paste on the cpu and didn't spread it around to cover the surface of the cpu and make it evenly thick then this has got to be the problem.
Basicly you have a dab of paste in the center of the cpu chip just conducting a small area. You HAVE to spread it around making sure it's not too thin, not too thick and covering the metal cap of the cpu. Then you set down the heatsink. Give it a slight twisting motion to clear out the air and make even contact.
Then fire it up and let it run for 5 to 10 mins then take a temp reading.
i put about the size of a pea and just put it back to gether, took it apart again, and it looked ok, pretty much evenly spread no bubbles in the middle. been running the comp about 4 hours now, played counterstrike source about an hour ago, getting about 75c @ 5341rpm
__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #16
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default Re: loud fan

ok... not sure what just happened but my comp went blue screen on me and restarted all of a sudden my processor is back to normal.. 45c @ 2255rpm
__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:13 AM   #17
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: loud fan

Maybe Windows reset a setting somehow that something had changed?

Is it still okay?
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #18
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: loud fan

That makes me think of HPs. MY friend, when I resart his PC, the fans goes higher than lowers upon booting. Could it been that the slow down sequence failed or something?

Anyways, I have my fan at 4200ish RPMs, and boy, if I could have 15kRPM 60mm fans in there, I would.
__________________
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #19
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: loud fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceranch
i put about the size of a pea and just put it back to gether, took it apart again, and it looked ok, pretty much evenly spread no bubbles in the middle. been running the comp about 4 hours now, played counterstrike source about an hour ago, getting about 75c @ 5341rpm
The size of a pea? That is way too much. Start over and just use a dab the size of a grain of rice. Use the edge of a card or something stiff like that and spread it evenly over the cpu. Then set the HS back on.

Oh and 75C is 167F. That cpu should have (if AMD) toasted itself long ago. Something is not right.
__________________
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #20
BSOD
 
juiceranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 124
Send a message via AIM to juiceranch
Default Re: loud fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock
The size of a pea? That is way too much. Start over and just use a dab the size of a grain of rice. Use the edge of a card or something stiff like that and spread it evenly over the cpu. Then set the HS back on.

Oh and 75C is 167F. That cpu should have (if AMD) toasted itself long ago. Something is not right.
amd sempron 3300+ it did smell like smoke but i just took it out and let it cool.
yeah i used 2 programs and one said 75c and another one that read farenheight said 160 something 167 sounds familiar.
anyway, i threw out the rest of the compund tube. couldnt really think of any use for it and didnt want to have it around. i thikn its fine the way it is its 45C right now been on all day. is a little warm but what can u expect from oem? if its quiet and its not dangerously hot, im fine with it, maybe ill get a copper hs and a blue fan soon.
__________________

__________________
juiceranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×