loud

Taylor1

Daemon Poster
my heatsink is so freakin loud! and all im running is itunes, my abit uguru software doenst really do anything when i set it to quiet. pentium d gets hot, but it can take it. Whats goin on!?

well first of its not your heatsink, its your fan :p, and u might want to check if you have somthing stuck in the fan, and may i ask what modle number it is

If your Processor is getting hot then maybe you have a problem with the heatsink being seated right on the processor. Have you used thermal paste on your processor?

Doing something like that would quiet the fan down because the processor won't be getting so hot. May I ask what your temps are?

Has it always been this loud?
Also you can purchase a new quiet fan off of newegg for a relatively cheap price.

If it's getting hot then the rpm's come up and it makes a bit of noise. Clean the heatsink and the fan with some canned air and Q-tips. Dust stuck on the blades makes the strangest noises.
Next check the airflow in the case. If there is not good airflow then the warm air is trapped in the case and can't get out. Your reach a point where the heatsink can't get rid of the heat and the thermal protection circuits rev up the fan.
lastly if push comes to shove take the heaksink off and clean it and the cpu of any old thermal tape, pads or grease. Apply a fresh coat of thermal grease and reassemble.
While you have the heatsink off a bath in alcohol is prudent. For the heatsink that is...lol

Pentium Ds run hot, and the Intel processor Heatsink Fan is very loud anyway.

Take a look at the fan speeds and the temperature, and post it back here. If it seems above than average, we can advise you from there. Otherwise, your only option is to replace either the whole Heatsink Fan or just the Fan with something quieter and more effective.

BaCoSs said:
well first of its not your heatsink, its your fan :p, and u might want to check if you have somthing stuck in the fan, and may i ask what modle number it is

well yea, thats what i meant. Its this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1432339&CatId=493
My heatsink has thermal grease in between it and the processor, Applied Correctly. The whole thing is securely fastened to my mobo. My temps are high 50s.

Its loud when I turn on the comp, then suddenly stops going so fast. I used to be able to control it with my Abit uGuru utility. Its never quiet when the processor is processing a game.
Do you know of any really quiet fans that arent gonna be more than $40?

Back
Top Bottom