Lost in the world of upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that pic is supposed to be the OP's Knight in shining armor (aka YOU):D:D:D

Ha. Okay...

Ok now real easy here 1st point if you had a choice between a used car with 100,000 miles on it or for 6 bucks more could get a brand new car off the lot what would you pick? Now I ask this because are you going to buy the used car now in hopes to buy a brand new car later? Of course not you will spend the 6 bucks now to get the brand new one.

I was debating using a similar analogy to get through to her. But..I have no need to now.

I understand you are asking if you should get the dual and upgrade to quad later but seriously why spend the money for 2 chips when you can just spend the extra 6 bucks to get the one you want to upgrade to later? So instead of spending 89 bucks now and 95 later why not just spend 95 now and save yourself 89 bucks in the process... I understand you may not need it but why buy something that is already obsolete for the same price as new technology...:confused:

This is what I and others have been telling her the whole time and she doesn't get it! It's her decision but...seriously.

As for the motherboard I would go with the 790Gx instead of the 780GX because the on-board graphics will kill any of those games you play on it...Before I got my HD 4870 I was using the on-bord HD3300 on the 790GX and was playing Left4Dead, FarCry 2, and COD: WAW with no problems at all. Now I didn't have them set to high settings at all but you said your not a hardcore gamer so this will be more than sufficient for you....

Is there really that much of a difference between the HD3200 and the 3300? I'm not an onboard guy so I have no idea...sounds like you had good experience though. I initially recommended the mobo I did because if was only 60 bucks and I was pushing for the 9850. Now she can probably afford to bump up to the 790 if needed.

Another thing you said early in the post you have vista home premium and later in the post it was vista ultimate which one is it and do you know if it is 64 bit or 32 bit because the version doesn't matter as much as the bits because 32 bit wont be able to use that 4GB's of ram so if you have 32 bit you might as well only get 2GB's of ram and spend the extra money on the QUAD CORE..

Good point. I didn't even think about this. But with the price of RAM coming down so much, whenever I do builds for customers--whether they are going 32 or 64 bit--I go with 4GB of RAM. For one, to be future-proof..and two, because they are only losing ~.5GB.

Mornin Everyone,

poker hun if you read an earlier post you would have read where I also have a Dell Xps M1730 2.4 ghz Dual Core Laptop with N.vidia 8700M GT video card, and it runs all my games with perfection. it has the vista ultimate. Now the system i am upgrading is a desktop and it will have vista home premium.

As for what upgrades to get it seems like it really is personal preference. and in earlier posts i read dual core beats quad core. I know its just a few dollars more, but when there not not much for quad core yet it just doesnt seem right to get it, but again this is me. It's not a matter of "not getting it" as someone said. its more of why get so much if you will never use it to its full potential or capability. and to read those who have computer descriptions and they ALL have dual core processors. so dual core cant be that bad can it? i'm not saying I wont get quad core, im just feeling like im not ready for it. It may be the technology of the future, but everything I do doesnt even require quad core as I said earlier.
And in earlier posts people said dual core beats quad core becuase of the fact there are only 2 cores. so that right there adds to some confusion.

It's a technology of today. Things will start to utilize quad-cores more. Half of us have dual cores because we've had them for a while and whenever we got them, either quad cores didn't exist yes, or in my case, quads were too expensive. I just don't understand your reasoning on "you will never use it to its full potential" because that's just not true. I can't count how many times I'd much rather have a quad over my dual core.

Poker's analogy said it best: In general, why would you buy a Geo Metro when you could buy a damn Cadillac?

well lol, just so you know I hate cadillacs, would never have one, and I would not have a geo either, to small of car. lol! and just to kill the curiosity, i think I know what the next question will be: "what kind of car do I have?" lol.

So I will answer here will quick, lol. We have a 2002 Saturn L200. with a dual overheadcam. and its FAST. the motor is outstanding, and its fully loaded. got a great deal. lol. so again its not top of the line but its an awesome car and we get almost 34mpg on gas. so cant complain. so in short getting the newest release to me isnt always the smartest since usually there are bugs tht need to be worked out first. but again my stupidity is showing, and I havent had my coffee yet so my brain isnt fuctioning yet, LOL

Well, that model of the Phenom's been out for a while. It's proven. I knew some how you were going to go off on a car tangent...

Haha. Don't get me wrong...I love cars. I've got a 2003 Saab 9-5 2.3t and a 1984 Chevy Camaro Z-28...I could talk cars all day. I was just referring to you being so difficult.

Haha. Don't get me wrong...I love cars. I've got a 2003 Saab 9-5 2.3t and a 1984 Chevy Camaro Z-28...I could talk cars all day. I was just referring to you being so difficult.

yes hun i know im being difficult, its in my blood, got it from my dad, so its genetic :p i just saw the dual cor @ 3.1 ghz, thought it would be very good for my needs, but I didn't even know of quad core till these forums so its a learning expirence, hence all my questions I have been asking since I started this mess last night, lol. tylenol anyone?!?!? looks like have i have somethings to think about at this point. oh yeah also it seems like quad cores are ony like 2.2-2.4 ghz, and that throws me too

Quad cores go much higher than 2.2-2.4ghz. You have to remember that there's a big difference between a dual core at 2.4ghz and a quad at 2.4ghz. Two very different ballparks. It's like saying that the Dodgers and Yankees are next door neighbors..because they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom