Lost HDD Space

tucker451

Solid State Member
Hi I just bought an HP e9120y a week ago. When I got it and booted it up there was 871GB free space off of the 1TB HDD. I removed some of the junk programs that bestbuy or whoever puts on there. All the free trial things and such. That got me up to 872GB available. I put a few of my own programs on, Battlefield 2, AIM6, Firefox, COD4, WinRAR, Guild Wars client(game), Treesize(I'll explain) and Daemon tools. Total these programs files add up to 9GB.

I downloaded Treesize because it tells you where all your HDD space is being used up. When I run it and open the 'C:' folder for a scan it says its storing 43.74GB. At the bottom of the window it says Available space: 778GB of 917GB.

When I run the scan in the only other option folder, the backup drive 'D:' it says its storing 11.95GB.

These two drives together are 55.69GB. So 917GB-55.69GB should be 861GB. Which was where I was at when I was done installing all the programs I put on. After I shut it down that night and rebooted it the next mornig I was showing 712GB available. I couldn't figure out where it all went. I let it go for the day. Shut it down that night, rebooted then next morning and I was down to 778GB. As I am writing this I just checked my HDD and it now says I have 767GB available.

Please help.

Thanks,
Tucker

Computer Specs:
HP e9120y
AMD Phenom II x4 910 @2.6Ghz
1TB HDD Serial ATA 5400RPM
8GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 4350 (512MB ded.)
Vista Home Premium SP1 64bit

i know this really isint a fix. but just wondering, there's no reason to un-install all that junk that u get on a computer when u first buy it. ur better off just wiping the whole Hard-drive. I mean its not like u have any important information on there once u first buy it cause im assuming u havent loaded anything important on there yet.

Try emptying the recycle bin. Also download CCleaner, it can get rid of some unnecessary junk in the registry.

i know this really isint a fix. but just wondering, there's no reason to un-install all that junk that u get on a computer when u first buy it. ur better off just wiping the whole Hard-drive. I mean its not like u have any important information on there once u first buy it cause im assuming u havent loaded anything important on there yet.

If u use the restore cd all those trial programs will be installed again and if u wipe the hard drive with dban you'd have to get a new os cd becuase that'd delete the recovery partition

Do what cabbs said an after your done with uninstalling and installing stuff i'd do a disk defrag

It didnt come with a restore disk. I had to make my on....and everything on there when I got it would be there again.

Try emptying the recycle bin. Also download CCleaner, it can get rid of some unnecessary junk in the registry.

-The recycle bins empty, I do that anytime I delete anything. I also ran the disk cleanup. I'll try CCleaner, but i doubt that I'm going to regain what is lost just by cleaning the registry files.

Do what cabbs said an after your done with uninstalling and installing stuff i'd do a disk defrag

-Then I'll do the defrag and let you guys know what happens.

By the way. I now have 750GB.

To start with hard drive makers state true total size based on a sector being 1000. When you format a drive it gets formatted in to 1024 per sector. It's not lost space just formatted for larger sectors. Makes it look like you have lost some space but you haven't really.

Vista is real bad about making logs for every little nitpicking thing going on in your computer. When you install something or even load media like pictures and music for exsample, it makes an entry in the index. Keeps your drive busy all the time and uses a lot of drive space.
Restore points. Most prebuilts come with that feature enabled and set to use just an unreasonable amout of space on the drive. When you install something it may make a restore point and tell you it did or make one and not let you know. Either way it consumes a lot of drive space. But if you disable that restore feature and get your tit in a ringer you're gonna wish you'd left them on. Your call on that. WARNING: Turning off the restore function will DELETE any restore points already saved.
There is so much going on in vista that wastes hard drive space.

I noticed this just when i am using my computer. one day i would be at 212gb and the next 209gb

Back
Top Bottom