Lost desktop/start-menu icons

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys.
I've suddenly lost all the icons on my desktop and the quick-items on my start menu. The items themselves are still there and open fine, but their icons are those 'default' icons that are there when the icon can't be found - a white page with an app window inside it.

I didn't really do anything for this to happen, i returned to my computer after a few hours and a FEW of the icons had changed, then I reset and now they're all changed.

Any ideas? Thanks
-Rhys

UPDATE: I can restore the icons for SHORTCUTS by going properties, clicking change icon, and clicking OK again (the right icon is already selected), and apply/OK. But not for non-shortcuts like My Computer / My Documents.

UPDATE 2: I managed to get all my desktop items back - I just had to fiddle with the customise desktop dialog by taking items away, replacing them, changing icons, changing them back, etc, and eventually they worked. Well, "My Network Places" still doesn't work with the default icon so i had to pick another one. AND, I think the recycling bin icon only works when it's empty, not when it's using the full icon. I still have to sort out the start menu though - putting in new icons still shows the default windows icon.

Hey guys.
I've suddenly lost all the icons on my desktop and the quick-items on my start menu. The items themselves are still there and open fine, but their icons are those 'default' icons that are there when the icon can't be found - a white page with an app window inside it.

I didn't really do anything for this to happen, i returned to my computer after a few hours and a FEW of the icons had changed, then I reset and now they're all changed.

Any ideas? Thanks
-Rhys

UPDATE: I can restore the icons for SHORTCUTS by going properties, clicking change icon, and clicking OK again (the right icon is already selected), and apply/OK. But not for non-shortcuts like My Computer / My Documents.
Try doing a system restore.

Ok, so after some fiddling I've gotten most of it working.

I had to remove all the items from the start menu list, and put them back in. Some still didn't work, so I had to find the shortcut that I'd dragged on there, go to change icon, click OK, apply, then put it back in again. See UPDATE 2 on my topic post for how i fixed most of the desktop.

Thanks for your efforts, colorblindjimbo. I wouldn't be surprised if the icons screwed up again sometime soon >_<

Back
Top Bottom