Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Looking for A/V tuner solution...

So I'm wanting to get an A/V tuner that is able to decode video in reasonable "real-time;" basically I want to be able to control a game system remotely by feeding A/V into a server via an A/V tuner and stream the video over the network. I tried getting a $12 device but the colors were all messed up and there was a significant lag, making gameplay difficult since it relies on real-time. First of all, I should ask, is there a card out there that will eliminate the lag, and even if there is, my second question is: is my desired setup feasible? I mean even if I am able to eliminate the lag from the A/V tuner, would there be a significant delay due to the network lag?

Thanks in advance,

justinschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: Looking for A/V tuner solution...

If you could get rid of the card lag you should be able to cut down on the network lag as well. I have a question though, when you say "real time" how much of a delay are you counting on. The delay from a tuner would be about 3 seconds and depending on speed and distance on the network you could be looking between 1 - 10 seconds. I would look into getting a better than $12 dollar card. Maybe look into the $30 range and you will cut the time down a bit.

The hacker mindset doesn't actually see what happens on the other side.
dIxie is offline   Reply With Quote