Looking to upgrade to an SSD, and more RAM

DarkVenom

Baseband Member
I know my PC is a little outdated (I built it a few years ago):

Intel i7 920 | Foxconn BloodRage Mobo | OCZ 6GB RAM | BFG GTX 260 | 750W PSU | Lian Li Case

Since I'm on a budget, and can't buy a new PC at the moment, I would like to make it faster, by upgrading to an ssd, and also the RAM, parts that I should be able to reuse if I decide to build a whole new PC later on. The reason I want to upgrade the RAM is because I do alot of virtualization in VirtualBox.

My motherboard is the following:

Foxconn BloodRage LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Let me know what you guys think about these, for the upgrade:

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9

My board states at the Newegg page that the max RAM supported is 12GB. Do you guys think this RAM would work on the board, even though I suppose it would give me only 12GB of RAM? Also, I know the Samsung SSD is SATA |||, and my board only goes upto SATA || speeds, but I thought why not get the SATA ||| if it's so close to the SATA || prices?

Last edited:
The Samsung 830 is an excellent choice, and is by far, the best upgrade bang for your buck. As you said, it will be limited to a maximum of 300 mb/s because of your board's SATA II support.

You do however, confuse me on the memory??? Your X58 chip set requires triple channel memory. Meaning you need 3 sticks of ram for optimal performance, yet you are buying a 2 stick set?????

Also, as a side note, 6GB of memory is more than enough for most anything you'll need to do. Even if you're current memory is rated for 1333MHz, and you're going for 12GB, at 1866MHz, it's very unlikely you notice any difference in application performance, except for benchmarking apps.

If you really want more memory, go for 3x4GB sticks of Vengeance @ 1600Mhz.

Thanks for the answer, Hameister.

I'll definitely go with the 830 now.

The reason I thought on going with the 2x 8gb sticks is because this way I would only need to get two more 8GB sticks on a new PC build to get 32GB of RAM.

Also, does RAM speed make much of a difference? For example DDR3 1600 vs DDR3 1866? I think you may be right, the SSD alone should be a good upgrade for now.

Last edited:
You'll never see/perceive the difference between 1600 and 1866 memory speed in everyday use. You'll only be able to see a performance increase in memory benchmarks. Right now those two speed sell for nearly the same price, so, for a dollar more, go with the 1866.
Also, your memory controller is a 3 channel controller, thus 3 or 6 sticks of memory.

Back
Top Bottom