Looking for suggestions on new build

Raytheon

Baseband Member
Firstable, I want this computer mainly for multitasking, running virtual machines, some gaming, and general use.

I like this Lian Li case because it looks really clean and simple, has a lot of room to work, and doesn't have led lights, which I don't like anymore.

I was thinking on using the power supply in my current rig: OCZ GameXStream 600W

I've had this psu for a little over two years now, and never given me any problems. I thought that since it has a 3 year warranty it should still last for a while? Your Thoughts?

For the HDD, seeing as the solid state drives are way too expensive right now and the WD Raptors don't really seem to give much performance over a 7200 drive, I was thinking on using my current Seagate 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s.

Finally here is the parts list:

Case
LIAN LI PC-V2110B

MainBoard
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58

CPU
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

RAM
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Video Card
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3

For the HDD, seeing as the solid state drives are way too expensive right now and the WD Raptors don't really seem to give much performance over a 7200 drive, I was thinking on using my current Seagate 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s.

Video Card
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3

The Raptors are considerably faster than 7,200RPM drives.
Go with the regular version of the Core 216 card. Then overclock it yourself. You'll save about $30, or so.

if i were you, i would downgrade the case so you could use a better video card.

for a GPU i would pick an 280 instead so you get the most out of your system before you have to upgrade your PSU

For a case, i would choose this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137 it has space for ten fans and a 12.4 inch video card. It is used in some of the best rigs and has places for liquid cooling.

This would be a good option also, if you like all of the looks. I would choose this if i had the money because it has all the features of the other, and has some nicer looks IMO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133154

And this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130365

P.S Happy Holidays

if i were you, i would downgrade the case so you could use a better video card.

for a GPU i would pick an 280 instead so you get the most out of your system before you have to upgrade your PSU

P.S Happy Holidays

The GTX280 is barely any better than an overclocked, or even stock 216. Certainly not worth the large price difference. You're only going to see a few FPS difference. Stick with the card.

Non-flashy case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119103

Flashy case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133154
Same as Holysky's suggestion.

I forgot to say I want a black case; don't really like the ones you guys suggested, maybe the CM Stacker 830, but I haven't heard good things about the airflow in that case, how about this one:
COOLER MASTER Stacker 810 RC-810-KWN1-GP

Also, does everybody agree about the considerably faster performance of raptor hdd's? How about one VelociRaptor 300GB vs two VelociRaptor 150GB in RAID 0?

Thanks all for the input, and happy holidays as well!

Agree with keeping your HDD and PSU.

Strong overkill on the case, only if you're going to build something which has the best of everything should you be paying $300+ for a case.
Look into the Antec 1200 perhaps?

It is a pain in the arse having to spend almost $100 more to get SLi support, do you really think it's worth it, you can get this X58 board for a bit more than $200 and it will do everything you need it for. You just won't have the SLi upgrade path in the future, which isn't worth $100 IMO. It still supports CF so if you save a little money on the case, HD 4870 X2, maybe?

+1 to going with the standard 260-216 cards. Overclock it yourself and save some money. We'll help you if you're not sure how. HD 4870 1GB is another option, about the same performance as the 216.

The 2x 150GB VelociRaptors in RAID0 will perform faster than 1x 300GB. The difference won't be greatly noticed. If you have all the money in the world to spend, go with the 2x 150GB in RAID0. If you're like us regular folks, use the Seagate. Like stated earlier, you don't really need an SLI chipset unless you plan to SLI 2 260-216 right away. If you're not SLI'ing this card, then I recommend you go with another X58, preferrably the Asus P6T Deluxe.

If you plan on using a lot of clusters it may be a good idea to get a dual 1366 board. I'm just tossing out there; one would think it would allow for twice the clusters. But if you're not doing any super extensive, this is overkill.

Also I'd like to ask you a question which you're not obliged to answer: Do you by any chance live in Wichita? They have a pretty big Raytheon facility here which if I'm not mistaken is now Hawker Beechcraft (or the other way around, I'm confused now).

If you're not SLI'ing this card, then I recommend you go with another X58, preferrably the Asus P6T Deluxe.

worshipme said:
you can get this X58 board for a bit more than $200 and it will do everything you need it for.

None of those boards seem to support DDR3 1600 without first overclocking, and I'm a little afraid to overclock my parts and fry something; altough, I must tell you guys, I would like to learn how to overclock so if you know of any good tutorials, post links please.

Also, I think I have made my decision for a case on this one: Thoughts?
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-KKN3-GP

I plan on ordering the parts by tuesday of next week, so if you guys have any other suggestions, please let me know.

-----
Also JogaBonito1502, about the Raytheon name, I dont live in Wichita, and don't have anything to do with this facility. I just created this nickname for myself years ago. :p

Back
Top Bottom