Looking to Optimize New Build

Xomphos

Baseband Member
Hi,

I recently built a new computer a month or two ago and I am looking to optomize it (without paying money), mostly through BIOS and software optomizations. These are my specs:
-Windows XP 32-Bit
-AMD Anthlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Processor
-2x 1GB (total 2GB) A-Data DDR2 667MHz RAM (dual-channel)
-80GB IDE 7,200 RPM HDD (Primary-recycled from old machine although potentially upgrading to a larger, SATA drive soon)
-30GB IDE 5,400 RPM HDD (secondary-primarily backup)
Note that both these drives are running off a RAID card (not using RAID though) because my motherboard only has one IDE connector
-MSI Motherboard (cost around $70-$100 I remember)-has integrated Realtek HD sound)
-Nvidia GeForce 7200 GS Video Card
Are there any optimizations or things I can do to truely get this running at it's best? I ran 3D Mark the other day and got an overall score of 460, so I think some things might be wrong. Also for some reason it recognized my processor as a mobile Sempron for some reason.
So, any tips on my build (that don't cost money-I do plan to get a new video card next year along with a HDD soon and problably Vista too next year.)

Thanks!

I just noticed that I accidentally posted the thread twice, sorry about that. Please disregard that other thread I accidently made-I ran into a problem with the LeechBlock Firefox plug-in as I am trying that out to cure my internet addiction. :)

delete temporary files(with ccleaner)
oh and custom skins lagg your computer and remove some unecesary programs from startup
scan for virus and ad/spyware often

Thanks for the replies, but what I am looking for is more so driver enhancements and such. Like are there any CPU managers or something I should get?

Thanks!

update your drivers for everything(stuff will run smoother)
just run that stuff often and keep from downloading stuff with virusus
www.siteadvisor.com
very good addon for firefox or IE. from mcaffe. lets you know if the sites have virus downloads or not. if you keep your rig clean, u should have good peformance

Back
Top Bottom