Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Beta Member
Question Looking for a new laptop

Hi all! I'm completely new to this.

I like gaming, cats, drawing and cars. I run Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on an ASUS Eee PC 1005HA.
My computer screen is broken, so I'm plugged into a monitor, external keyboard and mouse.

My computer is very slow, immobile and tiny. I'm looking for a new laptop, and these are my criteria:

Must have at least 2 Ghz of processing speed

Must come with either Windows Vista and up or Linux 10.04 and up. I am avoiding Apple and Chromebook like the plague (No offence Apple users)

I'd like something with at least 300 GB of hard drive space and at least 2 GB of RAM (I need to be able to upgrade to at least 4)

I want it to be SMALL. Under 15" would be preferable. Under 14 would be best. I DO NOT want another netbook. I don't care how expensive it is. Speaking of expensive...

I'm getting a new computer because I went to Dragon*Con this past weekend, and raised a bit too much money. Whatever I get needs to cost under $353, including tax. The less expensive the better. I will look at used computers, so don't be afraid to send me eBay links.

I. WILL. NOT. GET. AN, ACER. I don't care how many reviews they have, I will not have one. I have gone through three Acers, all of which had great reviews. Every single one died within two years. I have been happy with ASUS (I own an ASUS computer and tablet, and have been quite happy with both), will consider a Toshiba or Sony, and would prefer to stay away from Gateway or HP, though I will consider both. As I said before, I am avoiding Macs and Chromebooks. I am a cheap, open-source kind of gal.

I play Minecraft. Simple as that. I need something powerful enough to play Minecraft as well as other games.

Something with flash support would be good. Java is needed.

WOW I am picky. I have found a computer that fits all of these, but it only has semi-ok reviews. People don't like the space bar. Here's the link: [link].
(I'd get one in a different color. Pink is so not my color. Maybe lime green?)

Any help in making this decision would be appreciated. Thanks!!

linuxforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Yes seems a nice little laptop perfect for u
rowcon123 is offline   Reply With Quote

1005ha, asus, laptop, linux, minecraft