Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Looking for a DVD Tutorial on how to Open my Laptop

I broke my power socket on my laptop after a nasty fall. I took my laptop to my local repair shop.
It was a shock to hear he wanted £150 for the repair, no way was i going to pay that. Not only that,
i have heard so many negative things about the repair shops where the repair doesn’t last.
It seems forever i am looking for help on this issue. Does anyone know any good sources ?
I am ok on DIY and pretty good on soldering but i am stuck on opening the laptop without breaking it.
I heard that some people have made repair DVDs and ordered a few but there more or less PDF’s
I am trying to find a proper DVD tutorial that is Video based and fully featured.
Does anyone know where i can get hold of one ? I don’t mind any reasonable price.
I am not looking for a list or text based or PDF tutorial.

Basically what i am looking for is a proper hands on video walkthrough where i can see the basics of how to open

this thing.

Please please help.
Lars

Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Beta Member

Default Re: Looking for a DVD Tutorial on how to Open my Laptop

Lars,
It is quite a job if you don't know what you are doing, it’s on average a two hour job and if you get it wrong you
can be stuffed. it is definitely worth £150 but you should always ask for a warranty.
If you’re willing to take on the job yourself might i recommend a DVD, i think it is what you are looking for. It’s a
proper video of a guy opening up and showing tips on how to repair open up and repair the powerjack in great detail, i assume that’s what your trying to repair, this guy also does that repair and very cheap including warranty. He only does UK jobs though. I have recommended him a few times and everyone i recommended seams happy so far. not sure what his email is but the website is www.powerjackrepair.com you can find the DVD there.
Hope that helps you Lars.

Carl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe

i woudlnt reccomend doing this if you are not experienced.. i have taken my laptop apart and re-soldered the power supply connector, but it took an hour or so to take it apart, and if you are not experienced at taking kit apart, i would reccomend you dont try it.. yes, the repair is a rip off.. but how much was the laptop? and how much would a new laptop be?
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a DVD tutorial, theirs thousands upon thousands of laptops.

Ive worked on a handful of laptops, taking them apart is a total pain. I highly don't recommend getting someone else to do this for you.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote