Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
BSOD
 
duxtape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 175
Default Looking to do an upgrade.

Mt current computer is getting a bit slow and behind in times.
it is a
Pentium 4 2.4 OC'd to 3.0
2gb ram
7800gs OC
I only want to upgrade those parts. My psu is a 450 watt.
can anyone help me out? im looking to spend about 200 bucks
__________________

duxtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
cavemangrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: Looking to do an upgrade.

What motherboard you got?
__________________

cavemangrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
ssc456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,279
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Looking to do an upgrade.

i would assume a P4 @ 2.4 would be socket 478 which doesnt leave alot of room for upgrade as your RAM is prob DDR again no upgrade for DDR2 and if you are very unlucky you dnt have a PCIeX16 slot only an AGP Slot which means you def need a new motherboard.
__________________
He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
cavemangrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: Looking to do an upgrade.

/\ yup.
cavemangrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
BSOD
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 208
Default Re: Looking to do an upgrade.

sell it for $150 on craigslist and gather up $80 more.

then for $280 (after selling and racking up $80 more), you can get this


COD4 on max at 1680x1050 at 40fps+, Crysis on high at 1280x1024 at 30fps. That system alone is on a completely different level than your current machine.

If you're just looking to upgrade, you're not gonna be able to do much if your board doesnt support the a dual-core processor and 4GB of memory. and if you're stuck with AGP, the highest you can go is the Radeon HD3850 (which will be bottlenecked by your P4), and the 8800GT is still way more powerful and much cheaper (the AGP 3850 is damn expensive)

EDIT: i accidentally picked the DDR2-667 2GB dimm, pick the DDR2-800 instead, it should be about the same price.
umakemebetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
disturbed13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,154
Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13
Default Re: Looking to do an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
i would assume a P4 @ 2.4 would be socket 478 which doesnt leave alot of room for upgrade as your RAM is prob DDR again no upgrade for DDR2 and if you are very unlucky you dnt have a PCIeX16 slot only an AGP Slot which means you def need a new motherboard.
as i have found out as well
check out my new thread
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=74084

Quote:
Originally Posted by umakemebetter View Post
sell it for $150 on craigslist and gather up $80 more.

then for $280 (after selling and racking up $80 more), you can get this


COD4 on max at 1680x1050 at 40fps+, Crysis on high at 1280x1024 at 30fps. That system alone is on a completely different level than your current machine.

If you're just looking to upgrade, you're not gonna be able to do much if your board doesnt support the a dual-core processor and 4GB of memory. and if you're stuck with AGP, the highest you can go is the Radeon HD3850 (which will be bottlenecked by your P4), and the 8800GT is still way more powerful and much cheaper (the AGP 3850 is damn expensive)

EDIT: i accidentally picked the DDR2-667 2GB dimm, pick the DDR2-800 instead, it should be about the same price.
now that is just weird!
read this
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=74084
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
BSOD
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 208
Default Re: Looking to do an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoe View Post
as i have found out as well
check out my new thread
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=74084



now that is just weird!
read this
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=74084
are you weirded out by good value? okay thought so
umakemebetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
BSOD
 
duxtape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 175
Default Re: Looking to do an upgrade.

so if I soold my current PC for 200 dollars I could get a system with a dual core AMD and a 8800?
I have A asrock p4i65g.
I kinda want to keep my 7800 for my dad's comp so do you think it would make much of a differance if I put a ati 9700PRO in?
duxtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
BSOD
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 208
Default Re: Looking to do an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxtape View Post
I kinda want to keep my 7800 for my dad's comp so do you think it would make much of a differance if I put a ati 9700PRO in?
probably not. i doubt anyone looking for a used P4 machine is a gamer, therefore it prbably would not matter to them, they probably just need one for office/school work. be sure to emphasize "overclocked, very fast" (because very fast has no context, therefore its not wrong, its just your opinion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxtape View Post
so if I soold my current PC for 200 dollars I could get a system with a dual core AMD and a 8800?
I have A asrock p4i65g.
yes. you probably wouldnt be able to sell it for $200 though, (its worth a try maybe), thats why i said $150, because its a good amount and its still within the realm of reasonable prices (to a noob craigslist/ebay shopper who doesn't know what a good deal is/or doesnt care and just needs something for office work or school)
umakemebetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
BSOD
 
duxtape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 175
Default Re: Looking to do an upgrade.

thats what I was thinking.
I wanted to pwn some noob for 50 dollars.
I will emphasize the oc part aswell as the 2gb of memory.
__________________

duxtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0