Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
BSOD

Default Lookin for a linux expert

I was thinking about getting Linux. If I were to get Linux how would I obtain it? And I want a straight up answer not an opinion what is really better? What are some features that Linux has that Windows doesnt and what are some features Windows has that Linux doesnt. Is Linux free? Can I still Partition and everything can I run alot of programs. If I have a copy of Microsoft Word will it run on Linux.lol

Thanks alot

Computergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #2
BSOD

Also Could I run windows programs lol such as media player directx and are there any security features?

Old 01-18-2005, 09:17 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Lookin for a linux expert

Let me try my best to answer your questions. For starters, you can obtain a distribution from the the official websites of the distributions or from www.linuxiso.org. There are alot of places where you can obtain them. I don't know where you live so just choose a mirror that's closest to you. The main thign that Microsoft has but GNU/Linux doesn't is software compatibility. If you use GNU/Linux, you must be prepared that almost all of the software you own now will not run on GNU/Linux. However, there are many excellent alternatives. You might want to check this out. http://www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php

Linux is FREE as in free speech, not free beer. For more on this you might want o check out http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html. Of course most distributions are free as in no-cost but there are a few like Suse that charge. You can partition and do system tasks like in Windows and maybe even in greater detail as GNU/Linux is extremely customizable and modifiable.

Microsoft Word will NOT run on GNU/Linux. All .EXE files do not run on GNU/Linux. However, there is a sort of " Windows emulator" called WINE that allows you to run Windows software on GNU/Linux by simulating a Windows environment. Its still experimental so some software will run and others won't. Personally, I've had great success with it. I've managed to get Microsft Office, Star Wars Jedi Academy, GTA Vice City, Call of Duty and many other Windows software working under WINE. Details at www.winehq.org.

DirectX isn't available on GNU/Linux but the alternative is OpenGL. The security features in GNU/Linux are far more advanced than what is available on Windows so your com will be much more secure. Not to mention that all 55,000+ viruses and malware will not run on GNU/Linux. So GNU/Linux users are pretty safe.

Hope I've answered your queries well enough. Pls post any more questions you have here.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #4
BSOD

thanx alot
Old 01-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
BSOD

What is GNU?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

GNU is the project that spawned GNU/Linux which is so popular now. To cut the history short, this guy called Richard Stallman who was working at MIT got fed up with the plans of major computing companies in the 70s/80s to lock down the source code of software and create proprietary software which is so prevalent is today's computing world. RMS wanted a return to the "hacker community" where everybody could share software and code and thus mutually benefit. So he quit his job at MIT and set up the Free Software Foundation which main objective was to create a totally free (free speech, not free beer) OS called GNU. By the 1990s, the GNU project was almost completed except for the kernel. At that time, Linus Torvalds has just created the Linux kernel so people combined the software of the GNU project and the Linux kernel to create GNU/Linux. Alot of people call the GNU/Linux OS Linux which is abit unfair cos its not really recognizing the work of the GNU project. Moreover, the kernel isn't really that important as one can just take any kernel available and combine it with GNU software to create a new OS. If you look at any GNU/Linux distro nowadays, almost all the software is either GNU software or coverd under the GNU General Public License. If you wanna know moer bout the FSF and the GNU project, do check out www.gnu.org.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
Solid State Member

Wow after reading all that i think im going to install linux on an old hard drive.

One question. Can i run two different operating systems on the same hard drive but with a partition. So for instance can i have 40gb for xp on a 60gb hdd and use the remaining 20gb to run Linux?
Hamill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
In Runtime

When you are installing linux, depending on the distribution that you have chosen, there is almost always an excellent partitioning tool included. You can create, resize and do nearly anything with partitions using it. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/ check out this link and hopefully it should make things a bit clearer. The easiest option is if you set up a dual boot system keeping your original Master Boot Record in tact so that you can take linux off easily if you want to.

What might be the easiest option for you is if you partition off some space in windows xp and then when you come to installing linux you just tell it to install to that partition and let the installer work it's magic.
dreamweaverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
In Runtime

You're best bet though is just to buy a new 40gig drive off ebay or an online computer store. This means that you remove the chance of data loss when installing linux, as repartitioning be subject to data loss. It also make the whole process much simpler
dreamweaverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

You can install two Operating Systems on one hard drive. That's what i'm doing now. The easiest way would be to use the Windows partitioning tool to create the NTFS partition 1st and install Windows in it(presuming ur uisng XP/2000). Then start the GNU/Linux installation process and select the option to ignore all partitions and install ONLY in free space. Then the bootloader will detect Windows and everything will work out fine.