Logitech speakers....what else do I need?

tibug

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm in the slow process of building my first desktop, and I'd like to know what people think of these speakers...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/3549&cl=us,en

They're 90$ at newegg after 40$ MIR. Seems like a good deal. If I'm spending this much on speakers, do I need a dedicated sound card? I'm a total noob at this, so I don't even know what I need for "6-channel sound capability," as it says on logitech's site.

Thanks,
Tim

It depends on your MOBO if you need a dedicated card or not. Those are very nice speakers, Logitech knows what they are doing when it comes to sound systems. Anyway, if your MOBO has something like 5.1 surround support, and preferably HD audio support as well, then you probably won't need a dedicated sound card. However, if it has no surround support, or HD audio, then you might want to go dedicated. Also, if you are a person who values the difference in a few FPS (say, the difference between 30 and 32) then it might be better to go with a dedicated card.

If you want a dedicated card, I recommend a Creative brand card, preferably with X-Fi technology.

Thanks a bunch for the excellent response. I'm not the uber gaming freak type (no offense to those who are), and I'm not mixing or anything (However, I do like to have nice,crisp sound for lots of music and some gaming), so I don't think I need a dedicated sound card. So, to the mobo then. I'm building an mATX rig, so my choices are a bit limited...how's this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128078

I went purely based on the newegg reviews...I know nothing about motherboards and would be totally lost in choosing a good one without the reviews. So is there anything wrong with this mobo? Is there another that would be worth the upgrade?

Muchas gracias, hombre!

Tim

I do have to agree, the z5500 are worth the extra 50. I have the z5500's little brother, the z5300e and they are amazing. I also have a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi xTremeGamer sound card, which adds even more amazing sound.

That board you have should be fine with onboard audio. It has support for 5.1 surround, and it is Realtek, which IMO is one of the best onboard audio manufacturers. For a mATX board, that is pretty nice as far as features go, support for the quad-core processors, 4 gigs of RAM, an adequate number of expansion slots, I think that board will work great for a new build. Of course, I would get a dedicated GPU, as onboard usually sucks, but if all you are doing is web surfing, music playing, and maybe a few non graphics intensive games, then onboard should be fine.

Haha, yes, the msrp is 200$, but at newegg they're 130$+ a 40$ MIR that brings it down to 90$. I'm not wanting to spend 250$ on speakers. I'd like to keep it as close to 100$ as possible, and I'm SURE 155 watts is MORE than enough for my needs, even though more watts is oh so tempting. Condider that right now I'm working with a 10$ pair of speakers from Wally world. I can tell that they suck (no bass to speak of at all), but so far they've gotten the job done. Imagine how big of an improvement these speakers will be.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121012

Thanks guys, that's probably all the information I need...but of course I'm open to hear more opinions as well.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom