Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Rakuma
Default Local vs. Online

As I read more DIY building threads, blogs, articles, ect..... I've noticed some recommend buying local to avoid the hassle of paying returns and restock fees that you can run into with online companies if you have a bad part? I was wondering what everyone here thinks of the situation? Is it worth paying 20 dollars more for my processor and another 20 more for my MoBo if it saves me that hassle of return shipping it and such? How common are bad parts?

Thoughts?

Rakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Local vs. Online

I believe most companies will allow you to return with no restocking fees if you have a defective product. They will usually ship you out a new one.

If you are buying a processor, buying online will save you a nice chunk. There are not many stores that sell a wide variety of processors like newegg or tigerdirect. Also processors are usually the last thing you would expect to go bad.

Generally things that will arrive DOA are sticks of ram, power supply, hard drives and occasionally motherboards.

Good thing about buying online is that you have reviews for each product. Whereas in the store you don't know if you getting a good deal or quality or not (unless you researached the product).

Personally, I don't know anybody that buys local for computer parts unless they have a micro center in town.

Bad parts will largely be based on quality you buy. Personally I would rather take the risk of buying from Newegg than my Best Buy. God knows how awful the later is.

Acutally, its more of a risk buying from Best Buy than Newegg.

I vote online. Wouldn't even think about local.

OCZ 550 Watt Modular|Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo @ 2.66ghz|Gigabyte EP45UD3R|4 GB Corsair 800 DDR2|Geforce 8800 GTX|Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA|Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA|120 GB External WD Passport HD|Microsoft 3 Button Optical Mouse|Lite-On 2 Tone Standard Keyboard|ViewSonic 22in Wide Screen|Logitec x-540|Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
allendale2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Rakuma

Good to know. Yeah I don't know if you have heard of PCdirect they have a wearhouse thats local and now a store front. But they are still significantly more expensive than Newegg. I'll never buy anything of any importance to my computer from best buy. They are the wal-mart of electronics.
Rakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

actually i believe walmart has better deals than best buy.

lets say best buy is the best buy of electronics
OCZ 550 Watt Modular|Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo @ 2.66ghz|Gigabyte EP45UD3R|4 GB Corsair 800 DDR2|Geforce 8800 GTX|Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA|Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA|120 GB External WD Passport HD|Microsoft 3 Button Optical Mouse|Lite-On 2 Tone Standard Keyboard|ViewSonic 22in Wide Screen|Logitec x-540|Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
allendale2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Golden Master

BB sells BFG equipment, there good quality.

just BB is a bit expensive.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendale2008 View Post
I believe most companies will allow you to return with no restocking fees if you have a defective product. They will usually ship you out a new one.

If you are buying a processor, buying online will save you a nice chunk. There are not many stores that sell a wide variety of processors like newegg or tigerdirect. Also processors are usually the last thing you would expect to go bad.

Generally things that will arrive DOA are sticks of ram, power supply, hard drives and occasionally motherboards.

Good thing about buying online is that you have reviews for each product. Whereas in the store you don't know if you getting a good deal or quality or not (unless you researached the product).

Personally, I don't know anybody that buys local for computer parts unless they have a micro center in town.

Bad parts will largely be based on quality you buy. Personally I would rather take the risk of buying from Newegg than my Best Buy. God knows how awful the later is.

Acutally, its more of a risk buying from Best Buy than Newegg.

I vote online. Wouldn't even think about local.
Actually, MicroCenter has awesome prices for processors and well, most stuff tbh. That's where I got most of my new build (mobo, heatsink, ram, HDD, case)
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

I tend to buy all my computer hardware online as I have no local stores that carry it other than Best Butt and Radio Shack.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Golden Master

what does radio shack even sell
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperviper21 View Post
what does radio shack even sell
Have a look for yourself: RadioShack
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

I've been buying a ton of stuff from memory express lately because they price match online stores(and they ignore shipping costs) and I get the instant satisfaction . The downside is that you walk in to check out headsets and walk out with a new 5770.

My Desktop: Intel Core i7-970@4.5GHz 1.39V Stable--ASUS P6X58D-E--6GB Supertalent Chrome (Elpida Hyper) 1800MHz 6-6-6-24--eVGA GTX 580--Intel 510 120GB--WD 2TB Caviar Black--Silverstone RV03-EK Supreme HF w/ Black Ice GTX 480--Koolance VID-NX580

My Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz--4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM--NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT-320GB hard drive
shozzking is offline   Reply With Quote