Live long ATI

MeTzenAs1

In Runtime
Hey techies, some of you saw I made a post a few days ago regarding an x850xt pe card a customer at work gave me. I was gonna buy a 7800gt in a week or so, but after putting this in my machine I have now (even though it is an agp) and doing a lot of research and benching of my own (cause I do have machines with 7800gts at work) I've decided to leave my nvidia days behind me. Thank you ATI you have proven your self to me and even though your top card has 4 less pixilshaders than the top nvidia card you have still won me over. If you keep putting the quality work into your cards, and even though the best one is still a little more costly than the top nvidia. I will follow.

Anyone out there that is buying new video cards or is only "nvidia". Not saying nvidia sucks ATI rules.. but do some research , I know the benchamarks are usually close, but a week ago I would of told you nvidia all day. I change my before stated opinion. ATI is my new brand of card.

Any rants or opinions are welcome.

It's hard to choose what brand to go for (I've always used nVidia for the past 11 years, I don't really know any different). I did have an ATi card in a machine in 1994, but that was so long ago the thing ain't worth discussing.

The reason I say it's hard to choose your brand is this:

ATi bring out an uber-card which destroys everything nVidia has.

18 months later, nVidia release the new Uber20trillionGTX, which destroys the entire ATi range. Hardcore gamers may choose to switch to nVidia at this point.

Give it another year or so, out comes the latest ATi offering. Seems to be better than the nVidia, but has some shortcomings. Then nVidia release a new card, which is better in some ways but not in others.

Some games are designed to run better on nVidia (Doom 3) and some on ATi (Half Life series). But I do hear lots of reports of several new games locking up and dying running on ATi kit, but that's probably a driver issue.

I don't know, things are changing so fast these days I personally can't be bothered keeping up. I'd just review the situation every couple of years when it's upgrade time.

But for now, I'm sticking to nVidia, because it's "the way it's meant to be played"! Also, I don't know anything too much about ATi hardware and the way they do things.

I have an nvidia but, I think that ati is a tad better. I had an ati on two computers in the past and bought had great graphics and color, for there time.

Both ATI and nVIDIA are great companies...it really depends on your preference.

yup, i dont think cross fire mobo's are out yet so i chose nvidia, if crossfire was out at the time i would've still been ati. just curious what are the specs your running ur x850xt pe with? and what benchmark scores did you get?

my specs are listed in my signature.. although I'm upgrading in a week or so (when I was gonna buy the 7800gt) instead just gonna get another agp board with an amd 64 4000 w/ san diego core and prolly 2gb of corsair xms ram.. might get another psu but my antec smart power 450 will prolly do the job. Not really impressed with sli or crossfire atm.. cause the sli just splits the pixil shaders (which is underrated and very important in gaming) and the cross fire (which sounds better on paper cause u dont need the exact same 2 cards) uses the memory bandwidth with the worser card.

did performance test 6 and got like 450.. thats with a p4 3.0 (socket 478 not 775). and 1gb of pc3200 ram (though its rosewill ram.. not bad, just not great at performing, just gets the job done for the cost) once I get the new cpu, and ram.. I know it will be 550ish.. I did a performance test on a compter at work with an amd 3800 1gb or ram, and a bfg 7800gt and it only got a 530... boss at work got a test machine sent to him with a pentium 4 extreme editon 3.8 with an intel board with 3 pci-e slots, and the new intel chipset that will be released mid year (forget the edition) and it only got a 6**.. thats why when I see all these score over 700, kinda hard for me to believe.. cause I've seen benches on the best equipment sold (and equipment not sold yet) and rarely seen close to 700.. but who knows.. none of this is being over clocked.

Back
Top Bottom