A little help would be great :)

EskimoJoe

Solid State Member
Just got my new rig build...everything works fine with exception. While trying to boot XP, my system freaks and makes me try to boot in safe mode. When I try to boot in safe mode, my computer freaks out still and will not boot into Windows.

My question is this...is this a power problem, RAM problem or CPU problem. I can get into my BIOS just fine and explore it.

Current setup:

Foxconn P45a-s mobo.
Kingston DDR 2 RAM (2x2GB) 1066MHz
Antec 430W power supply...3 12v rails.
Intel Core 2-duo 3.0GHz Wolfdale 775 Processor

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!! :)

what is your graphics card? did you do a fresh install of XP?

GPU- Radeon X1950Pro this has been serving me for the past 2 years without fail.

XP...haven't tried that yet. I am trying to eliminate any potential problems with the hardware before moving to software.

Little more information here:

When my computer attempts to go to the Windows loading screen, it only stays on this page for a second or two. It then makes a small beep and goes to a screen which states that I need to boot into Safe Mode. If I select the mode for Safe Mode (because Windows did not load properly), it will go through to the screen which attempts to load XP, only to return to the screen that tells me I need to boot into Safe Mode.

If you used your old hard drive without reinstalling Windows, your computer will not work. You will have to reinstall for it to operate properly.

Yup rohan33's correct (+1 to you, good call). If you used a harddrive with a version of windows that was installed on a different computer, 9 times out of 10 it will not boot because the O/S detects a different motherboard. It sometimes fools people in to thinking it's a different hardware problem because it attempts to boot but doesn't. So let us know...it might not be that, but it very well could be.

Guys...thank you VERY much for the help. I'll get to re-installing it first thing tomorrow!!

One more question. If I re-install XP, will I lose the files, music and photos that I already have saved on my HDD?

Also if this does not work, what else could be causing the problem? I was thinking that it could be either RAM, CPU or Power Supply.

Back
Top Bottom