linux is a waste of time

I would recommend that you just install 7.10 and then do the update. It might take a little while, just to get all the updates but that way you won't have to do a clean install.

Cheers!

You misread the post. 7.10 doesn't work either, it never did. My issues with it are the same as 8.04.

You misread the post. 7.10 doesn't work either, it never did. My issues with it are the same as 8.04.

Ok well then just install 7.04, and do the update. It might take a little bit longer but in the long run it won't be that bad. It should only take like a hour at the longest.

If you still want to try to get 8.04 to work, then i would recommend trying a different cd or dvd medium. Also, i would recommend trying another iso recorder, too. Out of curiosity what iso recorder are you using.

but its free not bad for fre, anywhjo yeah a free bugs but eventually im sure they will be eradicated.

Yeah, I gave it a go for a day... couldn't install anything and I was sick - I didn't feel like "working" lol..

I think my problem was in Windows you jsut download/pop the cd in, double click, and bam. In linux, I did read, there are so many commands I never felt like learning :p For those of you that it is easy for, you probably have a bit of programming experience or something of the sort, and you have been using it for more than a couple of days :p. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure everyone would like to learn it - buy asking their own questions on the Computer Forus :D .. me personally.. if someone was standing behind me telling me how to do this, and this, and that.. then sure, I would do it in a heart beat!

hacking chess :D

In linux, I did read, there are so many commands I never felt like learning :p For those of you that it is easy for, you probably have a bit of programming experience or something of the sort, and you have been using it for more than a couple of days
Yes there are a lot of commands that can be used in Linux, but that doesn't mean that you are going to use all of them or most of them at all or ever. That is why there is a very user friendly GUI, especially for beginners.

As for the thought that most people probably have programming experience. I have never, and nerver will, create a program. It is just to complicated. I do enjoy writing webpages, but most of the time that is in HTML, or CCS, not something like PHP.
I'm sure everyone would like to learn it - buy asking their own questions on the Computer Forus :D .. me personally.. if someone was standing behind me telling me how to do this, and this, and that.. then sure
If you want someone that is willing to hold your hand as you delve into a new OS, then that is what the forum is for. But other than that I don't think that you will find anyone. I don't mean to sound harsh, I am just telling the truth. I would recommend reinstalling your Linux distro, and giving it at least 2 months and see what you think after that.

Cheers!

Hah! I put buy instead of by! and Computer Forus instead of Forums!!

I didn't say I wanted someone to hold I hand.. but I'm sure not going to deny an offer :D

Haha yeah I have reasons for not using linux, but hot damn!

I used linux for one month a while ago, I was able to do all my routines, youtube, internet, music, printer, word processing, hell i even was able to play some of my games (older ones though)

If not for games, I'd be on linux right now

Same here,I Was using OpenSUSE 10.3 and it was really good! Except WINE didnt support some of my favourite games.

Ok well then just install 7.04, and do the update. It might take a little bit longer but in the long run it won't be that bad. It should only take like a hour at the longest.

If you still want to try to get 8.04 to work, then i would recommend trying a different cd or dvd medium. Also, i would recommend trying another iso recorder, too. Out of curiosity what iso recorder are you using.

I found out what was wrong, it was the hard drive and the dvd drive.. for some odd reason, ubuntu gave me a ton of errors while trying to boot off of the my dvd drive, it works fine in a cd drive I put it to test.
I used cdburnerxp.

Also, when I had my ext3 partitions made, I was un able to mount them from the live cd, the terminal said they didnt' even exist.

So now I tried using my 120gb seagate drive, and boom, everything worked perfectly.

I find it odd because the other drive works perfectly in XP, i've been using it for over 2 years with not a single problem.. strange, no?

Back
Top Bottom