Linux vs. Mac vs. Widows

antonhaus

Solid State Member
First off, I don't know much about puters. Gonna buy me a new one tomorrow. Looking for a 17" laptop which I only use for internet surfing, banking, email, craigslist, amazon, ebay and a few basic simple things..

I've struggled w/windows 10 and someone suggested I go with Linux. Sounds good as I was told it is VERY basic and simple to operate.

Checked out the Dell website and all they seem to offer is windows and chrome.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated

Last edited:
Mac (I'll get shouted at by the Mac users for this LOL) stupidly expensive unless your into music or graphics. Not many use Macs in spite of what Mac users will tell you. Linux is geeky. It works and it's free but you do need to be a computer genius (in spite of what the linux users will tell you and I do use linux.) Linux Mint is the easiest I have found but no Linux distro is that easy to use. 99.999999999999999999999999999999999 of the Worlds population use Windows. You should buy a Windows computer if your usage is as stated. You can try Linux on a Windows machine with a dual boot the Linux distro will set up a dual boot for Linux/Windows automatically for you. Windows 10 is not difficult to use. Chrome is a web browser and if you buy a Windows 10 machine it might come with Chrome it WILL come with Internet Explorer and Edge, these are Microsoft browsers and there are plenty of other alternative browsers out there.

By Chrome you probably mean the Chromebooks that they have for sale. These are usually pretty cheap and low powered computers. They only run Google Chrome. That's it. You can do web browsing, streaming, and very basic downloading/uploading of files. If you really only do web surfing this is a viable option. Otherwise, get a windows laptop.

Linux is not easy to use for someone who isn't tech savvy. Macs are easy to use but cost a lot of money. Windows is the best option for most people. If you are used to Windows then you can adapt to Windows 10 faster than learning a completely different operating system.

I'd argue that the learning curve for Linux to a new computer user is about the same as that for people trying Windows (or MacOS) for the first time.

It's a bit difficult for people who have been using a different OS for some time, because things are suddenly unfamiliar/don't work the way they are used to.

Another poster said that MAC's are expensive. This is very true. They run smoothly and for a lot longer than windows. However I think 90% of the working world and private users still use windows, which makes it more compatible with software/hardware products, but not much more.

If you know how to master your Windows computer with admin stuff, and preventing or taking care of viruses, then go with windows. Easier to use and cheaper, but will only last about 5 years before they break down.

Truck vs. Car vs. SUV

Depends on what you need and want out of a vehicle.

internet surfing, banking, email, craigslist, amazon, ebay and a few basic simple things..

Any OS will accomplish the above.

Linux is going to be a learning curve and you won't have as many options when it comes to program compatibility.

Mac will cost more, but less of a learning curve and much better compatibility with software.

Windows is pretty much universally compatible, it's a common OS re: help with issues but there-too, it has issues.

Chrome I've not used much but it's a variant of Linux that's more like an Android phone made into Desktop.

I would go into an electronics store and try each one. Get the best match for you.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the input, it helps me learn.

I'm gonna go to best buy tomorrow and order this one...

Inspiron 17 5000 Series Laptop Details | Dell

It comes w/windows 7 which I was told is much better than the 10. If I don't like it I can delete it and go with the LINUX which I may do since I gotta learn this shitt all over again. May be a bit of a challenge for an old pewter illiterate fug like me but may be worth the trouble switching

Thanks to everyone for the input, it helps me learn.

I'm gonna go to best buy tomorrow and order this one...

Inspiron 17 5000 Series Laptop Details | Dell

It comes w/windows 7 which I was told is much better than the 10. If I don't like it I can delete it and go with the LINUX which I may do since I gotta learn this shitt all over again. May be a bit of a challenge for an old pewter illiterate fug like me but may be worth the trouble switching

That's good enough for what you are doing. There is no need to delete Windows to try Linux. As I have said you can either try Linux from a "live" dvd or usb stick. or you can install Linux along side Windows so you have the best of both worlds whilst learning. Windows is not the best operating system in the world I will admit but, again as I have said, it is the one that 99.999999999999999% of the world uses. I would, also, do the upgrade to Windows 10. Your going to have to have it sooner or later whether you (or I and the others) like it or not. It is only an operating system, when you get into the internet or your programs, which lets face it your not going to sit there looking at your operating system all day long, nothing has changed. Windows 10 is a free upgrade up until July 29 then you will have to pay. It's not ideal but then no operating system is. Windows 10 is different from Windows 7 but ultimately it's just an operating system. It's used to run your programs and nothing else. Windows 10 is no easier or harder to learn than Windows 7 and no different in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
If that's the route you're going, I would download ubuntu, then download/install Virtual Clone drive (allows you to Mount a CD in Windows 7 without burning it), then you can install Ubuntu alongside Windows through the Wubi installer and boot into either one.

If you like Linux, you can burn the CD and do a full install, if not, you can safely remove the installation and stick with Windows.

Back
Top Bottom