Linux question

Holysky

Fully Optimized
I am probaly going to instll linux onto a pc i am building. I was wondering how i am going to install Linux if i can't use a disk. How would i even get on the internet to install it.

also is there a 64-bit Linux that lets me have more than 4GB of memoery

P.S. (i have NO idea how to use Linux)

You can order a Linux disc. You don't have any other computers you can download on?

Look into ordering one. Find a way on the internet, and go to the Ubuntu website.
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

You can order a 64 bit version of Ubuntu from there. That would answer your 64 bit question too.

If you ever need any help with using Linux you can IM me.

I didnt try too hard, but the one thing I couldn't figure out in Linux, was how to install something... Maybe I'm stupid, but I couldnt figure it out...

I didnt try too hard, but the one thing I couldn't figure out in Linux, was how to install something... Maybe I'm stupid, but I couldnt figure it out...

lol, your not stupid. I didn't have much trouble, but I had a few questions myself.

There are five ways to install programs on Linux, specifically Ubuntu

1. Install programs with Add/Remove Programs.
2. Use Synaptic. The confusing thing with synaptic is it includes ALL packages. This means libraries, dev packages. If you know what program you want you can search for it in synaptic.
3. Use the command line with apt-get
4. Compile.....too hard. I rarely compile myself.
5. Install .deb packages. These are sort of like .exe files. http://www.getdeb.net offers a lot of deb files. Just download them and double click.

I Find linux confusing myself,im all for free software,but it's a BITCH to set up properly!

I know Ubuntu is supposed to make everyone's life easier and more windows-like, but doesn't anyone else miss the days of apt-get or yum? :) I know you can do it in Ubuntu, but it seems like almost everything is GUI now

Jackson needs to get with the century :X

I know Ubuntu is supposed to make everyone's life easier and more windows-like, but doesn't anyone else miss the days of apt-get or yum? :) I know you can do it in Ubuntu, but it seems like almost everything is GUI now

Jackson needs to get with the century :X

I use apt-get a TON. I find it easier to just fire up a terminal and type in the program I want.

Ubuntu isn't supposed to be like Windows though. I think many people make that mistake. Once you learn Linux it's just as easy or even easier in my case as/than Windows.

I use apt-get a TON. I find it easier to just fire up a terminal and type in the program I want.

Ubuntu isn't supposed to be like Windows though. I think many people make that mistake. Once you learn Linux it's just as easy or even easier in my case as/than Windows.

Oh I don't by any means think that Windows is easier or better than Linux, I just think Ubuntu is the first real OS to try to SOMEWHAT emulate the Windows environment to start to get more people comfortable with the system. Still totally Linux based of course, but I think it certainly has some more windowsy features than say, gentoo or slackware

And yay for apt-get!

I see what you mean. Yeah, Ubuntu tries to base almost all on GUI apps. I like Ubuntu because when I dont have time to mess the GUI apps are there.

I've been using Ubuntu for a while and i haven't touched the terminal since I installed it. I haven't installed many programs though, it comes with a good bundle of software already.

Back
Top Bottom