Linux OS

if you dont mind spending a few dollars ..i usually head down to the local newsagent and buy a linux magazine as they usually have a free installation cd with the mag. Doesn't cost much and saves the download.

Yeah, I would go that route with the free cds, but I would really like to figure this thing out. I mean, I am very familiar with burning mp3s, cds, data discs etc.....but not iso files. I wanna learn from this rather than take an easy option, kinda defeats half the purpose.

I think the problem resides in the burner I am using. Its not the best and kind of oldschool (as my current computer is), so I am gonna mess with the settings, see if I get some result.

I put in the restore cd that came with the computer and restarted it and it immediately booted from the disc. But when I insert the disc with the linux iso file on it and then reboot again, nothin happens. Kinda irritating.

Ok then, #1) Did you download the boot disc off the Ubuntu ?
If not http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu
#2) I use the free "trial" version of MagicISO just because it's easy to install and burn a disk, What program are you using?
#3) You burn the .iso file not the files.
#4) If you use MagicISO basically you make sure it says "Bootable CD" at the top before you burn, then you burn the disc.

I am using nero 5 which came with my cd-rw, not the best, but burns music cds well enough for me.

I'll try that program you suggested. Thanks for your help, I'll post up the result.

I'm assuming you're running it off the CD. There is a install icon on the desktop, run that if you don't want to boot off the CD anymore, plus I think you can't save much if you run it off the CD. NOTE: If you didn't partition your drive you wont be able to go back to XP. Or if it's running on a different computer that's fine I guess.
EDIT: If you are looking to run windows applications look up WINE. (Wine is not an emulator.) I had a hard time installing games, but it's possible.

I actually installed linux onto the entire hdd. So far its pretty decent, apart from the fact of not being to use a few windows programs that I would like to use. I am looking into the WINE program you suggested right now. If I can get winamp and photoshop to work on linux, I will probably stick with it for awhile.

The weird thing is, this has been happening to me too with an old computer that used to have windows 95 on it. I think it is your CD drive on the old computer not being able to read the type of disk you are using. For example on my old computer it reads original win 98 disks and a certain kind of disk (write once) but no other disks when trying to boot up from them. On the old computer now i just boot up with Damn Small Linux on a LiveCD. I don't use that computer anymore anyway, i just use it to tinker with :D.

Back
Top Bottom