Linux help

THEpiGUY

Daemon Poster
Could someone assist me in setting up Linux on my computer. I have very little knowledge on how to do so, but I do know a small bit. If you can offer me (preferably live via AIM) help, please read on.

I recently decided to look into Linux...see if I like it and everything... I've downloaded a free distribution of Linux Ubuntu, though I can't remember the exact site. I do not really want to have to code anything myself; if that's pretty much all Linux is, please let me know so I can quit right now. I followed their instructions on how to use Infra Recorder to burn an image to a CD. I used a CD-RW (which my disk drive IS capable of burning) if that makes any difference. I booted off the drive and selected the first option. It looked as if everything was going alright, but then it froze for a minute, and I honestly can't remember what happened past that; the main point it: I had to restart. I then ran a disk on the Ubuntu screen to see if there were any errors in the disk. There were about 3-5, if my memory serves me correctly. So I format it in Windows and re-burn the image. Now when I boot off the CD, I get some kind of "KERNEL PANIC" thing when I click any option, and I can't install it. I've re-formatted and re-burned the image numerous times, and to no avail. That's as detailed as I can get it, so hopefully that will help clear anything up. If anyone can offer me help, I'd really appreciate it. My AIM name is THEpiGUYofDOOM. Thanks for taking the time to read all that.

EDIT: Also, just a little more info: When I insert the CD, it loads the "Ubuntu 6.06 DiscTree" thing fine.

hmm. Have you tried to download the file again? Yeah, sounds boring to do but since you have burned it numerous times and it won't install then maybe the original file was corrupt.

[/QUOTE= ]
I booted off the drive and selected the first option.[/QUOTE]
which is?

Back
Top Bottom