Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-28-2004, 09:41 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to JimHa
Default linux help

I'm attempting a shot at Linux, I'm trying to get slackware 9.0 to work. I've downloaded lots of distributions and everytime i click on it or burn it to a CD to use on a different computer the distros never start to install.

Does anybody know where I can download some working distros? It doesn't specifically need to be slackware, mandrake or any of that just as long as it's a working style of Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated

-JimHa

JimHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:16 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: linux help

What i think you should do is check the md5 checksum of each ISO before burning them to cd. Use this command

md5sum ( iso name here )

Then check the md5 check sum with the md5 checksum posted on the net by ur distro. If they match then its okay to burn. You cant burn ISOs by just selecting the whole thing and drag-and-drop into a cd. Which OS are u using currently and what burning software?

Old 06-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to JimHa

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamroot
What i think you should do is check the md5 checksum of each ISO before burning them to cd. Use this command

md5sum ( iso name here )

Then check the md5 check sum with the md5 checksum posted on the net by ur distro. If they match then its okay to burn. You cant burn ISOs by just selecting the whole thing and drag-and-drop into a cd. Which OS are u using currently and what burning software?

I currently have 2 distros that I can use. SuSE 9.1 and Slackware 9.0. I'm currently using windows XP home and I don't use any burning software, I just right click on the distro then hit send to E:\. I don't have any software because I found a 48X CD-R for free, I wasn't to concerned about software comming with it if I could save 50 bucks.
JimHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
entity512

hmm, i thought you had to burn ISO in a special way. Well anyway, have you checked in your bios that it actualy picks up your cd/dvd or whatever at start up to try and boot from it? IF not, it may help to put like Cd as 1st, Floppy as 2nd and hard drive as 3rd.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:49 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

You HAVE to burn ISOs in a special way. Go to

http://www.download.com/Burn4Free-CD...ml?tag=lst-0-1

and download the nurn4free software and select the "burn ISO" button. Remember to check the md5 checksum first.