Linux Gurus!!

superman22x

Golden Master
I got 3 empty 40gb harddrive laying around here, I am going to give one to my friend, and the other two idk...

My friend and I do a lot of video creating and whatnot, and he does the editing usually. I am going to create a simple OS on this Harddrive before I give it too him. I was thinking for software,
Linux
Sony Vegas 8
Sony Dvd Architect
Adobe CS3 Master collection
maybe Trillion Messenger
And Sprint Mobile Broadband software.
Maybe that Compiz that Isotonian was showing off too, lol.

Can Linux run all these as regular .exe?
His specs are:
P4 2.8ghz
512mb PC2 3200 240 DDR2
some PCI-E graphics card, nothing too new though

Enough power for Linux?

Enough power, yes.

I doubt that those will run, but WINE allows you to run SOME applications. Most of the apps you listed either are kinnda.. intensive, or interact with hardware - these (in my experience) are the floors of WINE.

(Wine is stands for WINE is not an emulator... It kinna goes on forever, if you see what I mean. It lets you run windows Applications on Linux).

Often, people make open source alternatives... Just think of GIMP, OpenOffice and Firefox.

For video editing, there arn't that many *AMAZING* apps out there (under linux). Wikipedia has a list, though.

To find out if you can get your software to run under linux, check out: http://appdb.winehq.org/

Looks like there was one test of Vegas 8 on WINE, but it failed... although it was an older version of WINE, so maybe now it will work. Worth a shot though.
Adobe there was no tests made.

I was thinking, if I can get this too work, I might bring one HDD to school with this Image on it, and put it in the PowerMac, and use this Image instead, lol.

So, now I have decided to put XP Black edition on one harddrive for my friend, and one for myself. It will have Adobe CS3 as well as Sony Vegas 8. Then on the 3rd Harddrive, I will put Ubuntu 8.10, some fancy UI, and Cinelerra video editing software, and I just need to figure out what to use for burning DVDs, and that will be for home and in the school PowerMac for editing.

Back
Top Bottom