Golden Master
Can anyone advise me on which linux distrobution would be the best
i need it for my compaq armada m700 notebook
specs
600MHZ intel p3
256MB ram
40GB hdd
8MB ati rage mobility graphics card
i need it to support sharing of drives with my windoows xp computer and mp3 playback, usb drive support would also be a plus
please post links to websites and download locations
i have used the slax linux live cd
note i dont want a live cd i want a distro i can install to hard disk

muz379 said:
i need it to support sharing of drives with my windoows xp computer

you will be able to read ntfs partitions with linux. But windows will not even read linux (ext3 I think) partitions. But I think there is a program to get around this.

i am only bovvered about reading the large mp3 collection stored on my dekstop from my laptop

muz379 said:
i am only bovvered about reading the large mp3 collection stored on my dekstop from my laptop

linux reads ntfs fine, and I've got all my mp3's stored at the windows partition, so I can access them easily with both linux and windows. Don't know how to make it work if they are on different computers, but I'm sure you will figure it out.

As for the distro, don't really know which one I'd use with specs like that. I really like kubuntu, but it might not run smoothly. You could always give it a try...

ubuntu is good, you boot with the live cd and then click the install icon on the desktop if you wish to do so.

I'd go with ubuntu. very good and free distro. Also you could try kubuntu if you like the KDE interface better (I'm getting ready to install this one soon once it finishes installing). Also there's xubuntu (I forget which one that one is). anyways there's a few versions of ubuntu to pick from so just take your pick. I've heard good things about fedora but it didn't work well with me so I guess it depends.

well i've used fedora for awhile and it is nice, but i think ubuntu might work better on your system

I've used Ubuntu, i liked it and i think it should work well for what you are looking for.

mammikoura said:
linux reads ntfs fine, and I've got all my mp3's stored at the windows partition, so I can access them easily with both linux and windows. Don't know how to make it work if they are on different computers, but I'm sure you will figure it out.

As for the distro, don't really know which one I'd use with specs like that. I really like kubuntu, but it might not run smoothly. You could always give it a try...
does kubunto have a live cd

Back
Top Bottom