Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #11
In Runtime
Default Re: Linux

relax dude i was just kidding, yeah lets atomics gunna be pissed when hes sees this

intel core-i7 920 4+ GHz with the thermaltech 120 extreme with adition 120mm fan lapped. mobo: asus p6t deluxe gpu: Sapphire 5870 OCED. PSU: power pc and cooling 910 watt RAM: Corsair 6GB ddr3 1600 HDD: two 640 Gb WB Caviar in RAID 0: coolermaster haf 932 with all red fans
monitor: samsung ToC T260 roseblack 25.5" 5ms 1920x1200
pepzsoduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Baseband Member

^^ Amazing conversation. Use linux.com to download whatever distro you decide to use. Or use distrowatch and pick the most used one.

:) + :( = :|
Depja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Since you're asking where you can buy the OS I'm assuming you're coming at it from a new perspective - in which case a distribution like SUSE, Ubuntu or Fedora would be a good choice. The main difference from Ubuntu to Fedora is that Fedora has a much stricter view on what goes in its distribution's package management - it really doesn't like closed source things, and while that's a great philosophy to help drive open source development, installing things like flash can be rather frustrating as a result. Ubuntu takes a lax-er attitude which is more convenient for most people.

That said, if you are completely new and want to buy a boxed retail copy of SUSE I wouldn't rule it out, despite what a lot of people would say. You get some printed, clear manuals, DVDs with lots of software on and the money you spend will be driven back in to help continue open source development. You CAN get it for free online the same as with any other linux distro (and most people do) but if you want a nice boxed copy, that'd be the route I'd recommend taking.

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote

« RAM Poll | Build »