Which Linux

ssc456

Fully Optimized
ok guys some of u know i have an old 300Mhz celeron with 96 Mb RAM my Q to you guys is which would be most suitable,

i need something that is very easy to navigate as my family will also use this comp occasionally and i need something that obviously runs very light on resources.

I have a setup like that running a text based version of Redhat Fedora 5 which i use as a web server.

if you want the graphics as well you'll probably find, (as I did) it quite difficult to get decent drivers.
(but the point is that you can have current and upto date cores running on old machines).

pretty much all flavours of linux are lightweight, I'd suggest downloading a few distros to see what you like the best.

i need something that is very easy to navigate as my family will also use this comp occasionally and i need something that obviously runs very light on resources.

Honestly, unless your family is good with text-based OS's your not likely going to find a Linux OS that will work. Most likely anything that runs a GUI will need more than you have or run ridiculously slow.

I would recommend that you get DSL, or Damn Small Linux. Get it here. This is perfect the your system. It has a graphical gui, and can even be run off a thumb drive if you need it to.

Cheers!

Honestly, unless your family is good with text-based OS's your not likely going to find a Linux OS that will work. Most likely anything that runs a GUI will need more than you have or run ridiculously slow.

You underestimate XFCE.

As mentioned, DSL will work perfectly.

DSL is good, the only problem is that I'm not sure about driver compatibility...definitely worth a try though, I mean the whole install is only 50 MB.

Yeah with the system specs that you mentioned id give Damn Small Linux a try. There is another distro similar to DSL but i forget what its called but you should be able to find it at www.linux.com

Back
Top Bottom