Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Beta Member

Post Linking2Computers

Hello,
I just recently got a new computer. I already have my previous computer hooked to internet and set up, but I want to use my new computer in another room, have it networked to my other computer, as well as use the modem hooked to the other computer. The modem has two options on the back (ethernet and phone cable), but I'm not sure if it will source two computers at once. What would be the easiest way to do all of the above?
Thanks for your time,
Sincerely,
Seth

mpuvdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Guru

Default Re: Linking2Computers

You would need something called a router. You can either choose to connect via hardware or via wireless. You can then set-up a workgroup to share files. The modem will be connected to the router which in turn will be connected to both of the computers. You can get quality wireless going on both PCs and a quality router for less than $100.

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Your best option would be to get a router. You can then share the internet connection between the computers and also set up a network between the two.

If that is not within your budget, you could get an ethernet cable and directly connect both computers to each other. You could then set up internet connection sharing on the computer with internet access to share the connection with your other computer.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor

As the above posts say, you will need a router. They are also called Access Points in some cases. Since the two computers are in different rooms you will most likely want to connect wirelessly. In order to achieve a wireless connection you will need the Router (or Access Point), and a Wireless Adapter (plugs into your computer via USB or your PCI slot). The Router and the Adapter will communicate with each other wirelessly to allow you to use the internet on that computer. The hard wired computer will be disconnected from the modem and connected to the router (you can use the same cable unless its a USB cable). The two computers can then communicate with each other through the router. Here is a diagram to help illustrate how it works.

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
culexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Beta Member

Okay, cool!
Thank you very much
mpuvdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor

You're welcome, feel free to come back if you have any additional questions.

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
culexor is offline   Reply With Quote