Linking 2 Netoworks Together

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hey guys, got another problem for ya.

me and my gf live as next door neighbours, and basicly id like to be able to share files across both of our home networks how can i do this,

we both have a speedtouch router connecting is to the internet, i can recieve her wireless signal in my mums room, we have a spare netgear router if that helps ??

she has a desktop and a laptop we have 2 desktops and 3 laptops and i wonna be able to share files and remote desktop all computer from 1 network ??

n e ideas guys, although i want out internet to remain individual, aka she is on her net i am on my net ?? n e ideas ppl,

besides running a 15 mtr cable across the street

Without being on the same network, this is impossible. So you'll need to do this over the internet somehow. A VNC software would be ideal, but you have to pay for most of them.

Without being on the same network, this is impossible. So you'll need to do this over the internet somehow. A VNC software would be ideal, but you have to pay for most of them.

i dont like that word lol,

i neva said we couldnt be on the same network i just said we want our own internet connection.

is there no way to have a desktop in my mums room hardwired to my router and wirelessly connected to my gf's router and bridging the connections ?

would that work at all

no. maybe if u can share a router. through a wire in the wall..lol thats the only thing i can think of.

If you can receive her wireless signal, just make a new wireless connection and connect to it. Of course, you'll have to disable yours first, you can't be on two wireless networks at once. You can have your computers connected to each other via her network, or you can do that with your network, have her connect to yours. You'll be able to see each others shared folders and stuff.

That is the only way to do it, by being on the same network. You could even be on the internet using her internet connection. If you want to get on your internet connection again, you'll have to disable that network and get back on yours.

Not impossible, possible on a few days.

First you need a link, you can likely get two access points running in bridge mode to create a link with the networks. The networks should be on the same subnet, assign the routers two different IP's. You'll ideally need to use static IP addressing. Simply assign the computers in one house to use the router in that house, and vice versa.

That would be a huge pain to set up though..but I guess it is possible.

I still think VNC would be the easiest way to go.

create a separate ad hoc network. connect to both your own and the ad hoc. share and enjoy :)

create a separate ad hoc network. connect to both your own and the ad hoc. share and enjoy :)

but i cant adhoc to a router can i ?

wouldnt i need a wireless laptop at my gf's a wireless laptop in my mums room and ad hoc those

no lol. both keep your own routers and connect to them. then both get a wireless card each, and connect via adhoc. ull be on both networks, so ull ge the internet and can share via adhoc. its perfect :) (you need to network cards though, one to connect to the router and one to connect to the adhoc)

Back
Top Bottom