Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #21
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Limiting bandwith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
That wont solve the bandwidth issue dude. I'm wired into the router. Whenever the kid starts a download, things slow down to a crawl unless I have him limit the download speed in µTorrent.
Ah...it's probably because I based my post off of my old wireless-b for downstairs which gets like zero reception :P ...so using my wired connection I guess I always have a better bandwidth and the wireless really never "overtakes" me...

Old 01-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #22
Daemon Poster

whoa? Wireless b??

Yea. You should def upgrade to at least wireless g if not n. Ur internet is not the problem, tis ur router

OCZ 550 Watt Modular|Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo @ 2.66ghz|Gigabyte EP45UD3R|4 GB Corsair 800 DDR2|Geforce 8800 GTX|Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA|Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA|120 GB External WD Passport HD|Microsoft 3 Button Optical Mouse|Lite-On 2 Tone Standard Keyboard|ViewSonic 22in Wide Screen|Logitec x-540|Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
allendale2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendale2008 View Post
whoa? Wireless b??

Yea. You should def upgrade to at least wireless g if not n. Ur internet is not the problem, tis ur router
Haha...I know...but I have no use to upgrade. It's just wireless to an old gateway (originally with Win98) that's only used when little kids/relatives come over to give them something to do. The good computer downstairs is wired with Cat5 so that's not a problem.

Haha. I had to add "/relatives" to my post...I would have looked like a creepo if I just said "when little kids come over" :P
Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #24
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keven702 View Post
yea too bad shes in florida for vacation
Who pays for the internet connection, just to clarify? If you are leeching then you really have no right to access the router to control the bandwith nor to tell your roommate when she can dl or stream or whatever she does because you need the bandwith.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #25
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Who pays for the internet connection, just to clarify? If you are leeching then you really have no right to access the router to control the bandwith nor to tell your roommate when she can dl or stream or whatever she does because you need the bandwith.

Yup. That's what a few of us, including myself, have already posted above and I have to agree again. He's really go no right if he's a leecher.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #26
Wizard of Wires

I used to install security systems. Apartments offer some interesting moments but it can be done and hidden nicely.
Along the baseboards there is a gap between the bottom and the carpet. Nice little space to tuck a wire in to. To get past doorways you just take a pair of pliers and pull up the corner of the carpet right at the far side of the doorway. Bend a loop in the end of a coat hanger and feed it under the carpet. Loop the cable through the coat hanger and tape it on. Make sure if you use premade cables to tape up the end. You'll snap off the lock tab if you don't. Been there and done that more than once. Push the capet back down with a screw driver and keep on trucking.
It's time consuming and you have to be careful not to get snagged on the tack strips.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #27
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger

You can control bandwidth for certain applications through certain routers, but since you don't have access to yours you obviously can't. Also most of the routers that you can do it through are higher end routers, for example I can do it through mine but it is a gaming router so I can set up rules to dedicate more bandwidth when I start playing certain games.

|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote