Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Limited or no connectivity

At a fitness club (ACAC) where my dad goes every day, they have no wireless network. I go there with my dad every day (but I'm not a member; I can't work out). Unfortunately, there is no wireless network that I can use my laptop with; they don't trust their employees not to use Wi-Fi while working or something like that. Anyway, if i directly connect my laptop to one of the ethernet slots they have in the wall, it says that I have "limited or no connectivity." I'm not sure if they installed some kind of software on their computers allowing them to get on that network, or if it's because I don't have XP Professional...does anyone know how I could fix it where I could connect it via ethernet? By the way, I plugged the laptop into the same slot where one of their computers has working internet access. I would use their computers, but they are terribly old, all they have is the internet, you can't use Windows at all, so no word processing or anything but a bad internet browser. Thanks a lot for your help.

here_is_gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to jac006
Default Re: Limited or no connectivity

It's just signal strength. Obviously, the place that you plugged in was a bad spot. Did you try other spots? Is it ethernet or dial up? Just to make sure, you know. I'm betting it's ethernet. Anyways, I wouldn't try and get into anything yet. If I were you, I would talk to the people. I know the IT guys downstairs at my college can and do monitor everything that goes on... I'd be careful.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
In Runtime

The only time I seen that is when you get only access the network with not ethernet.
sho95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac006
It's just signal strength. Obviously, the place that you plugged in was a bad spot. Did you try other spots? Is it ethernet or dial up? Just to make sure, you know. I'm betting it's ethernet. Anyways, I wouldn't try and get into anything yet. If I were you, I would talk to the people. I know the IT guys downstairs at my college can and do monitor everything that goes on... I'd be careful.
It was a spot that another one of their computers was working fine with; there are computers for members to use, and I unplugged one from the internet, and plugged my own cable into it, and it didn't work; I know it's not dialup.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
In Runtime

Was the spot active at that time. What mean is did you see some one use it that day?
sho95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to ~K-Pow~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~K-Pow~

I got that problem to when i take my laptop to a job site and hook up to ethernet i usually have to assign a static ip to my computer in order for it to work. So you may need the IP address of the place itself.

Home Computer: Dell inspiron 2200, 1.66 GHZ processor, 80 gig harddrive, 512mb ram, cd/dvd rom, wireless network card.
~K-Pow~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
In Runtime

Nevermind..I emailed the IT department guy again, and apparently they don't even give their employees internet access. I guess they really don't trust their employees or something
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

maybe its still blocked with a network key.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to ~K-Pow~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~K-Pow~

I think if you found the IP address of the computer that you unplugged then assigned your computer that IP address i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Home Computer: Dell inspiron 2200, 1.66 GHZ processor, 80 gig harddrive, 512mb ram, cd/dvd rom, wireless network card.
~K-Pow~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
In Runtime

It's not the laptop, like I said, the employees don't even have internet access on their network, so even if I connected to their network I wouldn't have internet