Lightning Strike Damage

bikerbill

Beta member
The power and cable lines in front of our house were recently struck by lightning. The strike fried our cable modem and phone modem (both replaced by our cable company), wireless router, and possibly the NIC card on our desktop computer. I say possibly because the Comcast tech that replaced the cable and phone and modems could not pull an IP address after he replaced the cable modem so he suspected the NIC was fried. Our laptop computer works just fine using the new modem so I know the cabling and modem are working OK. The NIC in the desktop computer is an integrated Intel Pro 100 VE Network Connection so I cannot remove and replace it. I bought a PCI D-Link 10/100 Fast Ethernet Desktop Adapter and installed it in a PCI slot. I verified the install using Device Manager/Network Adapters and the D-Link shows up. When I use ipconfig the IP address is all zeros. Interestingly, Device Manager says both the D-Link and Pro 100 are working. The link and activity lights on the D-Link card would also indicate its working. I disabled the Intel Pro 100 when I was using the D-Link NIC.

I'd be surprised if the integrated NIC survived the overvoltage and something else downstream from it got fried. But if I believe Device Manager that seems like maybe what happened. Are there some tests or diagnostics I can run to identify what is wrong with my system? Has anyone out there experienced anything like this? The computer is a Dell Dimension E510.
:mad:

try the following:

1. Start
2. Run
3. type "CMD" and hit enter
4. type "ipconfig /release"
5. type "ipconfig /renew"

see if that doesnt solve the problem

Problem Solved!!

The integrated NIC was indeed fried by the lightning strike despite passing the hardware diagnostic scan including the loopback test and the link and activity lights indicating normal behavior. The PCI NIC is now working--somehow Work Offline had been selected so I was not able to access the internet. Now its time to get the new wireless router up and running.

glad to hear it, sucks about the onboard nic though, E510's dont have much room for extras. i can just barely fit my 7800GTX in mine, i had to add an 80MM on back for exhaust and its almost constant heat no matter what. poor design IMO.

Back
Top Bottom