Lightning =(

Methost

In Runtime
Got home friday to find my router, cable modem and a couple of NICs fried out. One of which was the on-board Gigabyte port on my new Asus SLI-Delux MB. And get this ... the computers were still on. No damage other then the network. Thank god for small favors I guess. The MB even has a spare network plug (only 10/100 though).

This was the first weekend I had my PC together and had made time to play a LOT of online games to test out the new machine. I was bummed. Cable guy should be there today though and all with be right in my world again.

The moral of the story? I dont know ... surge protect your cable?

Always, Always, use a QUALITY power connector. Find one that has a damage guarntee to it.

The surge came through the cable line I think. Because thats the only thing that I do not have protected. From there it killed my router (dead, no lights, no power ... dead). I assume it took the network cable from there and zapped my LAN cards. One PCI card, and one onboard LAN. I cant believe that it did no other damage to my MB, but that seems to be the case. No damage that I can find anyway.

Does anyone make a surge protector that protects cable as well? Or even one that protects a network cable? A good one?

Look if your iin the uk in the argos catalouge, they have s surge protector that will protect networks, otherwise sorry but i dont know what you need to do for that!!

heres a good one that has cable surge protection too: Monster Cable AV Power Center MP-AV800, found it on ebay

Aww am sorry to hear that :(

Yeah, always protect your computer...even if its just to get a surge protector on a multi plug socket... don't know how good these are though...guess you have to wait for something to happen untuil you know. Bit stupid hehe.

Glad your main computer didn't suffer damage though :) Rather the modems than that in my opinion.

Sorry to hear...

But you can make a homeowners insurance claim. Lighting is considered an act of God and is covered no questions asked.

But you can make a homeowners insurance claim. Lighting is considered an act of God and is covered no questions asked.
LOL.... sorry seti, but don't you think that just maybe the deductable will be a bit more than what it would be to replace a few networking cards and even the mobo for that matter. Not to mention what they will do to the rates after making the claim.
Just take the hit and learn from it.

Back
Top Bottom