Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Beta Member
Question lightening strike

Knocked out the electricity to several homes in the area, of course, I was on the computer when it happened. Knocked out the computer, monitor, dsl modem. I wasn't using a surge-protector at the time, I was told if the strike was close, and it was, the surge-protector wouldn't help?

I had the power supply, in the computer tested, it showed to be good. I was told the problem was probably the motherboard, cost too much to fix.

Could it possibly be something else, causing the problem? I hated that happened, the kids bought me the computer, hardly a year old.

I recently bought a used computer system, 100 bucks, computer, monitor, keypad, mouse. So far it works, thanks

jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: lightening strike

thats a shame

Will probably be the motherboard, but if thats fryed, theres a chance the parts connected to it are too. Especially the CPU/RAM.
I'm hoping not, but for it to cause that much damage, it must have been bad.

A surge protector would have helped though. As long as its a premium grade, and supports a high ampage, then yeah, but not a cheaper standard one.

I'm sorry to hear that though You'll have to replace the motherboard, and check that it powers up the components, or somehow test the components in another compatable system.

Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Beta Member
Smile Re: lightening strike

I was reading the rules for posting, I guess I didn't give enough info on the computer that got thundered on. EMACHINE--- AMD Sempron, processor 3100+---optical drive--- dvd/cd-rw combination drive, memory--- 256 MB DDR SDRAM, Hard Drive--- 80 GB, Windows XP Home Edition. Plus a list of pre-installed software too long to mention. I have to admit, most of what I just wrote, I don't know what it means.

I didn't have a surge protector on the other computer, I do on this one. It didn't cost much, about 20 bucks. I did look up some surge protector specs, the specs listed for this one were rated, good or better. Better than nothing, I guess.

Thanks for the reply
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote