Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #21
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Leaving my PC Gaming Rig on should I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin979271 View Post
Sorry for the double post, I cannot edit after a certain amount of time for some reason. Out of curiosity, what would happen if I didn't do anything about the battery and let it die? Would there be permanent damage? What would happen?

No, you'd have no physical damage from a dead CMOS battery, you'd simply lose your BIOS settings, Month, Day, Year, Time, boot order, things of that nature. It would make operating very frustrating.

Personally, I replace my CMOS battery about once a year, so it doesn't die on me when I least expect it.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
In Runtime

Sometimes slow post times are due to the BIOS having a hard time recognizing a component. This could be due to a slowly failing component, bad cable, power supply issue, etc.

OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #23
Daemon Poster

+1 ^

Very true, that's why I suggested re-installing the OS first, to insure that it's not a software issue, before troubleshooting further.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #24
Fully Optimized

Also, if you have a lot of USB devices plugged it, it could take a bit of time for them all to initialize before POST.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
Baseband Member

Ok, Thank you everyone. I am going out now to buy it. I will edit this post and reply with the results.

Edit: One more thing. I remember reading somewhere that if you put the wrong CMOS battery inside the motherboard, then the slot can explode. Just to be cautious is that true?
Justin979271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #26
Daemon Poster

First, it's just about impossible to install the wrong battery because the type of battery is stamped right on the battery itself. Like I said, it's probably a CR2032.

Second, just make sure that you are careful of polarity. Install the new battery + & -, in exactly the same way as the original.

Third, exploding battery sockets are rare, I haven't heard of one in months.

Hee, just kidding, I have NEVER heard of a CMOS battery, or socket, exploding!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #27
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister View Post
First, it's just about impossible to install the wrong battery because the type of battery is stamped right on the battery itself. Like I said, it's probably a CR2032.

Second, just make sure that you are careful of polarity. Install the new battery + & -, in exactly the same way as the original.

Third, exploding battery sockets are rare, I haven't heard of one in months.

Hee, just kidding, I have NEVER heard of a CMOS battery, or socket, exploding!
I got it. No CMOS fail on boot. The computer started up in exactly 1 minute and 23 seconds. I timed it. One problem though. When I put the new battery in my hand I must have unplugged the power hdd to the hard drive. My computer displayed "Please insert correct media to boot and press a key." That scared me, but I figured out that I just disconnected it without realizing it. Although, my computer is running really well, I am going to reformat. I keep getting messages displaying that my files are corrupt. Errors. I can't even print screen because when try and save the paint file it says desktop corrupt. Anyways, time to re-format and save all my steam games. It is a damn good thing I keep all my steam games on my External Hard Drive. Everyone, thank you so much for the help.

Edit: What in the hell? I can save it now? I don't get it, I guess there is no need to reformat now. I swear, as much as I know about computers, there are times where I just don't understand them.

Corrupted:

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=Huh.png

I am going to just restart my computer. Also, I know my time is wrong. I just fixed it now.

Edit 2: I restarted. There was a check for consistency on Volume C: Everything is running well now. Thank you everyone. I would have never figured this all out if I hadn't come here. Also, there is no reason to leave my computer on anymore as it starts up in just under a minute and a half. Sure every minute counts when it comes to getting back to school, and not being late for my next class. There is a huge difference in 4 minutes and 1 minute though. In that aspect, I should say.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #28
Daemon Poster

You're welcome, Justin.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
Solid State Member

When I played old final fantasy 11 I would.leave my laptop on constantly until finally the video card dropped out on me. I suggest putting it to sleep I left mine on all the time and it did not turn out so well.

Afternoon www.electronicsdelight.com
Electronicsdelight.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #30
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronicsdelight.com View Post
When I played old final fantasy 11 I would.leave my laptop on constantly until finally the video card dropped out on me. I suggest putting it to sleep I left mine on all the time and it did not turn out so well.

Afternoon Electronics Delight!!!, Your Electronics Solution!!
I no longer have a reason to leave it on, but thanks for the advice. Since this whole CMOS Battery is resolved. My computer is perfectly normal. Thank you though.