Leaving my PC Gaming Rig on should I?

Justin979271

Baseband Member
Hello everyone. I have thought about this and I decided to asked now. I PC Game for about 6-8 hours on a school day and 14-16 hours on weekends. Yes, I know I don't have a life but I don't give a shit and that isn't the point. What I want to know is say if I keep my computer on and only restart it once a week will I do any damage? It is rather slow on start up, which is annoying. For an example, when I am on an off period from school, and I decide to go home and PC Game. Each period is 40 minutes, but it takes time to leave, get home, open my locker, and get back to school. So on a typical off period I have say 25-27 minutes to play then i have to head back to school. I prefer not to waist that time waiting for my PC to start up. It takes about 4 minutes for my computer to start up. Now for 25-27 minutes that is a lot of time. After school it isn't an issue. Would I cause any damage by leaving it on so it is ready? Say I just restart it once a week. Also, what about my monitor. Will I burn that out if I leave it on as well? Thanks in advance.

I only shut my computer down once a month to clean the dust out of it. Other than that, it stays on 24/7. No sleep. No hibernation.

I have my computer set to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes of inactivity. I've been doing this for 3 years.

You're already aware that your lifestyle isn't very healthy, so I won't dwell on that.

As for your machine. The question of leaving it on 24/7, leave it in sleep mode, or shut it down after each use, has been discussed for years, and opinions are always divided. The only logical answer, is do what works for you, assuming of course you don't pay the electric bill.

If I am using my laptop at college/Tafe I put it into hibernation otherwise it takes ages to startup or if not in use for long periods of time I it shutdown..

The OP says that his machine takes about 4 minutes to boot up. That's excruciatingly slow for any computer. Since I don't have any specs on his computer, I can only say that it either needs to have the OS re-installed, or some serious maintenance performed, or maybe a repair, or replacement is required.

One thing is certain, no computer these days should take 4 minutes to boot, not even a $299.00 laptop.

The OP says that his machine takes about 4 minutes to boot up. That's excruciatingly slow for any computer. Since I don't have any specs on his computer, I can only say that it either needs to have the OS re-installed, or some serious maintenance performed, or maybe a repair, or replacement is required.

One thing is certain, no computer these days should take 4 minutes to boot, not even a $299.00 laptop.

I do get a "CMOS Fail" at start up if that has to do with it. Other than that though, everything works fine, it is just slow on start up like I said.

My Specs: (I built my computer)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JUSTIN-PC
System Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
System Model TA990FXE
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, 3300 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.4, 3/8/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Justin-PC\Justin M*******
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.98 GB