Leave it on?

Brookfield

Golden Master
Like most of us, I have a TFT monitor, I understand that these don't have to have a screen saver, can I just click none, & leave the screen immobile?, what I do, is to leave it on OE all day, so that I can respond to CF messages.

What you are talking about is "screen burn in" when you leave an image on the screen for a long period of time it becomes "burned in" to the screen permanently. TFT's and LCD's don't have as much problem with this as CRT's do. So yes, you could leave it on.

But, what I would do is right click your desktop and go to properties. Then go to the screen saver tab, then down at the bottom click the "power" button. In there you will see an option to turn off your monitor after however long you choose.

Thats what most people, including me, do. Then when you want to use it, all you have to do is move the mouse and your screen will come back to life.

Yep, go into the Power options and you could make the screen auto turn off at 15mins of idling. It'll save your electric bill. And, when you move your mouse, it will get the signal.

It doesn't turn off the power to the flat screen it just cuts the video off. same power draw as an idle screen with an image on it. Might just want to put on the built in clock. Comes in handy at my place when I can glance over and see the most accurate time. Just set xp to update the time automaticly.

I remember a chart of an LCD screen. When in standby mode, it takes 1W and when it's on, it's around 45-50W.

I think I'd double check those figures. Most of the power drawn by an lcd flat screen is the CCFL tubes. In power down mode they get turned off. But modern flat screen monitors draw next to nothing to start with.

:D Thanks everyone, after all your kind advice, I think it'll be safe to turn the screen-saver off.

celegorm said:
stupid question, but what is a tft screen?
As Tommy Boy said, or "thin film technology", myTFT monitor screen itself is only about 3 mil thick, the circuits etc built behind it bring it to around 40 mil, the CR [cathode ray] versions are being phased out, in fact a large percentage of major manufacturers ceased production in July 2006.
computer2.gif

Back
Top Bottom