Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24
Default Least ram which browser?

I have a old PC with around 380 ram and 1.2GHz, is opera a suitable browser for me, does it use very low ram ? or is there other browsers that use less?
__________________

Bhavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Least ram which browser?

Just loaded up Opera and Firefox browsers and with my homepage showing they both use just 78MB.

Incidentally, IE6 uses just 56MB for the same homepage! But it.......... is............. s..........l.........o..........w.

I'd say either-or on this one.
__________________

__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Least ram which browser?

Lynx.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Least ram which browser?

I prefer links. I'm not sure which has the smaller memory footprint, but they're both pretty small

Chrome's meant to be quite a lightweight browser, but I've never done any tests on its memory footprint - might be worth a try.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Baseband Member
 
BooDog47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BooDog47
Default Re: Least ram which browser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
I prefer links. I'm not sure which has the smaller memory footprint, but they're both pretty small

Chrome's meant to be quite a lightweight browser, but I've never done any tests on its memory footprint - might be worth a try.
Chrome is a resource hog. This is because it compensates not crashing for each individual tab using its own individual ram amounts. for example, if you have one tab for banking and one for online games, the game tab would be using the most ram whereas the banking would be using a lighter amount. regular browsers combine it all with a fixed amount of ram. that being said, chrome is only good on lower end computers if you only use a few tabs. as a recomendation, firefox has always gotten for the most part, the least amount of usage of resources.
__________________
“In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates”
BooDog47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:02 AM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Least ram which browser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDog47 View Post
Chrome is a resource hog. This is because it compensates not crashing for each individual tab using its own individual ram amounts. for example, if you have one tab for banking and one for online games, the game tab would be using the most ram whereas the banking would be using a lighter amount. regular browsers combine it all with a fixed amount of ram. that being said, chrome is only good on lower end computers if you only use a few tabs. as a recomendation, firefox has always gotten for the most part, the least amount of usage of resources.
Mmmmm.

The more tabs I open in Opera and Firefox the more RAM they use.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Least ram which browser?

I'm not sure how much RAM the browsers take, but you could install Linux on this computer. DamnSmallLinux or Puppy Linux would work well with that system. You could probably get by with something a little beefier if you wanted. I've run Ubuntu and Fedora or computers with ~same specs.
__________________
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Least ram which browser?

Quote:
I'm not sure how much RAM the browsers take, but you could install Linux on this computer. DamnSmallLinux or Puppy Linux would work well with that system. You could probably get by with something a little beefier if you wanted. I've run Ubuntu and Fedora or computers with ~same specs.
Agreed, Ubuntu would be fine on a PC like that as would most linux distros - but what OS's would work and not is a WHOLE different board game

Quote:
Chrome is a resource hog. This is because it compensates not crashing for each individual tab using its own individual ram amounts. for example, if you have one tab for banking and one for online games, the game tab would be using the most ram whereas the banking would be using a lighter amount. regular browsers combine it all with a fixed amount of ram. that being said, chrome is only good on lower end computers if you only use a few tabs. as a recomendation, firefox has always gotten for the most part, the least amount of usage of resources.
Actually, a quick (non scientific) test I've just done looks like firefox uses more than Chrome for me, but I've got imacros and all sorts of extensions on here so that's not really a fair comparison.
What you're describing above is a multi process browser, which Chrome is. It works in seperate processes, so if one tab (process) goes down the others can still keep on running. It's the seperately scheduled processes that enable it to do this, not storing different bits of memory in different places! True you'll see individual processes using individual amounts of RAM when you run task manager or ps or something similar, but you seem to be directly equating this to resource hogging and bad design, which is quite simply wrong! While it's true that the inter process communication mechanisms in place within the application may use marginally more memory than one monolithic process, that doesn't make it a resource hog unless the application and the IPC mechanisms themselves have been badly designed. As pointed out already, on any conventional single threaded browser you'll notice the memory usage will go up and down depending on how many tabs you have open, and in many cases this will be more than the sum of all Chrome's processes.

I'm not necessarily arguing with the fact that Chrome is a resource hog (I haven't got the data necessary available to me to make an informed decision for myself) but you can't just equate multi-threaded design to using resources poorly.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Least ram which browser?

I have ran Firefox, Chrome, and IE. I would suggest you run Chrome. From experience, I can tell you it uses the least amount of resources, even compared to a naked Firefox. I'm currently running Firefox, but that's only because I am constantly having to log into college application programs and for some reason they don't seem to work on Chrome.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
Computear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US
Posts: 675
Default Re: Least ram which browser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
I have ran Firefox, Chrome, and IE. I would suggest you run Chrome. From experience, I can tell you it uses the least amount of resources, even compared to a naked Firefox. I'm currently running Firefox, but that's only because I am constantly having to log into college application programs and for some reason they don't seem to work on Chrome.
Same. I recently switched from Firefox to Chrome, but I still use Firefox as a secondary browser for certain things (Yahoo! Mail seems to act weird on Chrome for me, and my side work at kgb_ only works on Firefox).
__________________

__________________
Laptop: Dell XPS 17 | i5-2450M @ 2.5GHz | 6144MB RAM | GeForce GT 550M
Desktop:
HAF 932 Advanced | i5-3750k @ 4.4GHz | CORSAIR H100 | ASUS P8Z77-V | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 @ 1600 | MUSHKIN 240GB SSD | WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0