LCD Monitor Native Resolution & Gaming

Wiredchild

In Runtime
Hey, i have a Viewsonic VX924 19" screeen and love it...however. One thing that p*sses me off beyond belief about LCD's in this 'native resolution' stuff.

Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems all LCD's, or, all the ones i've used, have to be at a resolution of 1280x1024 to have a crisp picture and otherwise appear blurry.

Well, my monitor does anyway, and it's becoming a huge issue. I play quite a lot of games like Doom3, Quake4, HL2, BF2 etc etc and because of the monitor i have to play them on 1280x1024 resolution or they don't look crisp. This is an issue, obviously, because i only have 512ram, a 6600GT, and a 3500+ CPU...So, having such a resolution rips it out of my hardware, forcing me to put the actual detail on the graphics, like the character models and textures on the lowest settings...it sucks.

Basically, is there any way to bust this issue? And does anyone else have the same problem?

thats why lcd's suck for gaming. I would get yourself a crt monitor and you shouldn't have any problems.

Tommy Boy said:
thats why lcd's suck for gaming. I would get yourself a crt monitor and you shouldn't have any problems.

Yep. *laughing behind my 21" CRT* :D

But just run it with the native resolution and mess with the detail settings.

Wiredchild said:
Hey, i have a Viewsonic VX924 19" screeen and love it...however. One thing that p*sses me off beyond belief about LCD's in this 'native resolution' stuff.

Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems all LCD's, or, all the ones i've used, have to be at a resolution of 1280x1024 to have a crisp picture and otherwise appear blurry.

Well, my monitor does anyway, and it's becoming a huge issue. I play quite a lot of games like Doom3, Quake4, HL2, BF2 etc etc and because of the monitor i have to play them on 1280x1024 resolution or they don't look crisp. This is an issue, obviously, because i only have 512ram, a 6600GT, and a 3500+ CPU...So, having such a resolution rips it out of my hardware, forcing me to put the actual detail on the graphics, like the character models and textures on the lowest settings...it sucks.

Basically, is there any way to bust this issue? And does anyone else have the same problem?

I think it's just yours, because my 19" PG Neovo F-419 plays ALL resolutions, and because of my PC (see signature), it doesn't make a noticeable change in smoothness (fps) when I crank it up to 1280x1024, and I can even crank up AA and AF. You just need a new graphics card, try the 6800GS, it's a great one.

No, that's not true. LCD monitors have native resolutions in which they display information with a much higher clarity than their non-native resolutions. Most of them are all 1280 x 1024.

Of course, all LCD monitors can use all resolutions (well, depending on its maximum), but that specific native resolution is what the monitor is designed for and displays the most effective and pleasant graphics compared to other resolutions. Try changing your resolutions and I'll bet that you can see that it gets pretty blurry below 1280 x 1024.

Or you may have some sort of special monitor; I don't know. I'm not too knowledgeable on monitors. :D

So there's no way to sort this instead of using a CRT? I do have one as my second screen but it's 15"...this sucks.

It does seem primarily to be Doom3 and Quake4 though...is that something to do with the type of graphics used in the game engine (i'm really shady on software so i don't have a sodding clue). HL2's graphics are ok on lower resolutions, but the HUD goes messy.

...My computer ruins my life.

Back
Top Bottom