LCD or CRT

Vandiyan

In Runtime
Im thinking about getting a new monitor here soon. Is it true that CRT monitors are better for gaming. I remember reading that somewhere. I have thought about getting an LCD one but am afraid of the dead pixel thing. How big of a problem is this with the LCDs?

Yes CRT monitors are said to be better for games, but this was only because of the Response time that LCD monitors have where it takes a certain amount of time in miliseconds for the screen to refresh.

New LCD monitors can offer 12ms to 8ms repsonse times so you wouldn't notice any 'ghosting' in games, and even racing games, so they are getting better in quality and so are good replacements even for games in homes.

CRT's though good do release radiation which LCD's would lower and they tend to look better too since they don't bulge at the back, and can offer superior quality, especially if it has a DVI connection, and your computers video card does too (better digital interface rather than analog like VGA)

When looking for one, look for the highest response time (smaller number), the Brightness value and contrast values (Higher the better, so just check for a few to get a minimum amount and a higher amount and if you can not affford the higher one, go for inbetween)

Dead pixels are a worry, though shops have to replace them if a certain amount are sent to you, though you can ask for a replacement anyway, and it is not that common, and definetly not common enough for you to worry about them (you tend not to notice 1, especially if its somewhere in a corner for example, though shouldn't happen I know)

I hope this helps :)

LCD's these days generally have the same if not better specs than a crt and dead pixels are rare from what i know of. The only thing i worry about is the veiwing angle.

Thank you very much for the information. I do like the look of an LCD monitor a lot better. I will have to wait and see how much money I can save up in the next month or two. Looks like LCD will probably be the way I go especially with the information about the refresh rates given above.

Yeah. Of course a better LCD monitor (better brightness/contrast ratios, and response times) will of course cost more, though I think the price is worth it if you do alot of video and design things on your PC, since the colours can be better defined, and have better quality to them.

Does your video card have a DVI socket? If so, try and get a monitor with one also as you would notice a difference in quality :)

I hope this helps, and good luck searching :D

Yes my video card does have DVI. I was looking at some of the 19' LCDs and found a nice one for around 350.00 or so. You can get them a lot cheaper but not with the high refresh rate that you were talking about. Guess I will start saving now.

Response time :p 19inch is a nice size for the monitor and would probably be worth saving up for. Can you give us a link to look at it? We can then tell you if the quality is worth saving up for :)

I hope this helps

i personaly say LCD are the better they don't do you head in and you don't get really bad eyes pains .. i used to so i tried out my new LCD and its excellent!

You should really think about getting an LCD they are well better!

since you were worried about dead pixels make sure you have the warranty if something does happen..

Yeah thats always good to keep :p If you buy it from a shop anyway.

If you buy it from the internet, keep the online reciept taht the order has took place, and print it. Plus when you get the monitor delivered, ask for a reciept from them so they know you got given it safe, and when yuo opened it, it had dead pixels.

Theres nothing you can do about them though, so youjust have to request for it to be sent back and replaced, though it shouldn't happen that much, since manufacturers tend to have a quality test with LCD monitors, and if there is more than 1, I think they get thrown back and dumped. Though maybe if there is 1 some do too.

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom