latency

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
what is this latency thing and how can i make it better. when i play team fortress....at the end when it shows everyone's scores, it shows my latency at 40, but everone else's in the game was 0.
also, when you chose a server to use, they have different latency numbers, so should i chose a high number server or a low number one?

latency is the delay between u and the server, lower is better, if it gets high enough u can start to lag

^^ what he said.

The thing that affects the latency is the speed of ur internet, the speed of the servers internet and the biggest factor is the location of the server.
So there is not many things u can do to improve ur latency, it's mostly about the server.

I once saw a guide on how you can tweak your internet to a point where its great for online gaming, granted it said web browsing and stuff like that would suffer but it said on the good end it could cut your lag by 1/2, and all it invovled was software tweaks here and there that took a few points off of you. And considering ISDN caps out at 2 MBs, (10, 11, 12 MB is not uncommon) your pretty much stuck, you could google a optimization guide on your internet connection is my suggestion if you want to lower it

40 latency is fine. everyone else probably had 0 latency because they were bots. alot of tfc servers have bots in them.. they don't get latency.

yes ping is same thing. if you getting 300 latency on a server try a differnt one because it might be the server and not you try to go to one without bots mabey with 10-12 people in it

thanks for the info all.....i'm new to gaming, and thought maybe i could adjust something to make my latentcy better so i would stop getting killed so much in the game.....i guess it's not the latency...i guess i just suck! haha.

Back
Top Bottom