Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Exclamation Last Two Things - Case + PSU - What Do You Suggest?

So I've pretty much purchased everything (i7 920 2.66GHz, evga SLI i7 mobo, 6gb corsair ram, geforce GTC 260 895MB + misc (speakers, hard drive, etc))

All I need now is a good case + PSU...and since the video card is huge (among other things) I think I may have to go with a Full-Tower as opposed to a mid-tower, not only because I want to make _sure_ I have enough room for everything but also because I want it to be cool. For the PSU, I don't plan on doing SLI in the near future but just incase, what would you recommend? If I wait a year or so, will the higher end PSU's be cheaper?

Anyways, the only prerequisites I can think of are:

- I'd like it to be quiet
- I'd like to, if possible, spend under $200.00 for both (If absolutely necessary and considering how much I paid for everything else, I guess I am willing to bump it up to $250ish)
- Not really a prerequisite but I'm not all that concerned about looks

Thanks

PS: For my setup, think I'll need a CPU fan too? If so, what would you recommend?

Clucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Last Two Things - Case + PSU - What Do You Suggest?

Since you don't plan on a multi-GPU setup, the Cooler Master RC-690 should have all the room and cooling you need. Even if you do go SLi, it will still have enough room.

That leaves over $100 for the PSU. I'd go with this Xigmatek 650W modular unit (basically a modular Corsair VX)
Quote:
PS: For my setup, think I'll need a CPU fan too? If so, what would you recommend?
Depends if you want to overclock or not. If you don't want to right now, but you may want to in the future, it's best to wait until you do to buy one as the amount of coolers available for LGA 1366 is still limited.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Awesome, thanks a lot, 650W is enough for the PSU right? I don't want to underspend on something people have been telling me is pretty important
Clucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

The Cooler Master RC-690 is an excellent case.

Here's another PSU to consider: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W. It's a high quality unit that has a bit more power, is quiet, and is cheaper then the Xigmatek.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote