Laptop wont start, Ive exhausted all my options, please help

papethova

Baseband Member
One of our laptops wont boot up (XP pro). I can get to the windows screen sometimes, once even got to the logon/password screen, but most of the time I cant even get that far. I have tried to select last known good configuration and all the safe mode options. The safe modes take forever and end in a quick blue screen. I tried recovery console but it needs an admin password that I cant remember (going to try one last time with admin as the pw) and when I try to install windows I dont have the keep file system intact option just 2 format options. I really need to keep the file system intact here.

Only other option I can think of would be to access the laptop HD through my PC as a slave, but I dont know if thats possible or how to set it up. Desktop to desktop Im a pro at.

Any ideas? Im really desperate. Thanks in advance.

Ya i tried leaving it blank, didnt work. Seems like now it doesnt recognize a, for lack of a better word, file structure because it allows me to access C drive through the recovery. It doesnt even show "1. windows" and ask me to select it.

I tried fixboot and again I can get to the windows screen but not beyond, just goes black after and computer restarts.

Next try fixmbr, results...
Well I can get the windows screen and then just a quick blue screen and it restarts.

I dont relly know what else to do here. I just need to access a few files on there.

hi mate

i dunno weather your from uk or us but most are from us so try looking here

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=CBL

then you will be able to just bung the laptop hardrive in there and boot into your desktop drive and access the files ;)

but if the files your tryin to acces were under a password protected account then u may have some trouble

Thanks, I appreciate it. I didnt know such a thing existed. This should do the trick.

We do have a log in password on the laptop and the files are on the desktop. Will that be a problem if I slave the HD on my desktop? I do know the password of course.

Well my adapter arrived today but I have an issue. The adapter is 44pin female on one side and 40 pin male on the other. I just pulled the HD and it doesnt work with pins. It looks like a ram slot kinda, with 22 pairs of contacts. I have tried searching for an adapter to convert this to male 44pin with no luck.

Any advice? What is this interface called?

I think you were to hasty buying that, whats the blue screen error your getting?

I think you were to hasty buying that, whats the blue screen error your getting?

Well it only cost me $2-3 shipped. I figured out how to get it to connect. There was a piece I had to pull off the HD to reveal the pins.

I cant see the blue screen bc it flashes so quick and shutsdown.

My PC mobo is all SATA connections so Im going to try and connect it through my optical drive ribbon.

Well the BIOS recognizes it as a primary slave, my master is on SATA 1. Also the boot order has my master ahead of the laptop HD but my PC wont start when its plugged in. Interestingly, if I put it ahead on the boot order it tried to start and has the same issue as the laptop.

i found the easiest way to change the administrator password in xp go to start/control panel/administrative tools/computer management.

once on this screen click on local users and groups then right click on administrator and click set password (don't worry if there is a password for the admin account it still works) then on a screen click proceed then make a password.

Enjoy!!!

i found the easiest way to change the administrator password in xp go to start/control panel/administrative tools/computer management.

once on this screen click on local users and groups then right click on administrator and click set password (don't worry if there is a password for the admin account it still works) then on a screen click proceed then make a password.

Enjoy!!!

hi mate before adding your post try and read the actual problem !!!! he cant boot into windows

as for the actual thread starter explain what you mean when you say the pc wont boot ???? do u get bios screen ? windows screen ??? option to boot into safe mode ???

Back
Top Bottom