Laptop won't power on when not hot / on AC.

There are a lot of electronics parts stores here, but none of the stores I checked had a single piece of that capacitor. They do have a capacitor with the same resistance but with a different voltage. I don't know the difference when put on a mobo, so I might just wait until I get my hands on a 2.5v.

I'll see if I can get someone to do the ordering. Thanks.

You can use a higher voltage rating, just make sure the cap isn't too large for the place it is supposed to go into.

6v, is that good? And are there things such as special capacitors for motherboards? Or I should really go for "smd tantalum caps"? Or the "generics" work? Just making sure. I couldn't ask any of my friends here because they don't know either.

You may not need to go far out to the stores.. If you still can't find one try get a free pre-paid credit card, type it in google and type your location, should bring up shops that have access to these cards, I use to use one but I've not since years and years ago, they was great for purchasing online gifts and things I wanted.

And since you said it's under the CPU, I kind of feel sorry for you, I'd be carefull around this area

Goodluck with the laptop, hope you get it fixed

Nah, I gave up. There's one chipped screw under the battery that I can't take out no matter what I do. I'll just try to take this laptop apart and sell what can be sold.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Since you said you could get it to boot to the battery, but not to the AC adapter, it sounds like you've got some loose connections on the board which are making it hard for the system to get power from the specified power source (not at all uncommon on Toshiba laptops)

You can do one of two things here.

Take the motherboard out of the system, place it on a cookie sheet and bake it in a 200 degree oven for a few minutes, then take it out and let it cool off, then put it back into the system.

Why?

The heat would liquify some of the contact points on the motherboard and get them to fill in any gaps that might be causing the issue.

It's highly risky though, and I don't really recommend it because if you don't know what you're doing, you can easily trash what is still good.

The other and safer alternative is to sell it on EBay as a "parts PC" - I recently sold about three of these on EBay for varying amounts, the most of which got me about $80.
AFAIK these laptop series has the AC plug connecting via a wire, instead of soldered on the board. Mine is anyways. The only thing that can go wrong with them is the AC plug may snap off from its holder if you push it too hard.

AFAIK these laptop series has the AC plug connecting via a wire, instead of soldered on the board. Mine is anyways. The only thing that can go wrong with them is the AC plug may snap off from its holder if you push it too hard.

But I can charge well enough. Everything works on battery. Only when plugging in I get the problem.

Now that my hard drive is permanently damaged from the abrupt shutdowns (and fist bashes), I gave up on trying to fix it. Appreciate your efforts tho. This ain't going to end well for the laptop XD

Back
Top Bottom