Laptop/windows problem....

posiview

Baseband Member
Hi, I can launch Windows XP. However, all I get when it's loaded is a screen with my wallpaper.

I can launch programmes from the Ctrl-Alt-Delete; 'Applications' then 'New Task'.

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Thanks.

hmm... weird, try ctrl+alt+delete and hit file>run>type "explorer.exe">hit run, that should bring up your taskbar with start, and bring up all icons on your desktop, from here you can troubleshoot

Have you been messing around with any system files,msconfig,or editing to any critical computer components?

bullzi said:
hmm... weird, try ctrl+alt+delete and hit file>run>type "explorer.exe">hit run, that should bring up your taskbar with start, and bring up all icons on your desktop, from here you can troubleshoot

Hi, did that but nothing happened.

.....!

bring up the Run, and type msconfig and click the Startup button.Maybe someone is doing this to mess with you have no idea.There make sure that all items are selected because maybe someone clicked them all of so it doesn't startup.

yea check msconfig, also bring ctrl+alt+delete>file>run>type "chkdsk" let that run, if there are any corrupt files, that should fix it

ace777 said:
bring up the Run, and type msconfig and click the Startup button.Maybe someone is doing this to mess with you have no idea.There make sure that all items are selected because maybe someone clicked them all of so it doesn't startup.

Did that and all are ticked.

The only thing I did recently was to do a system restore; I only took it back one day.

Thanks...

your explorer.exe isnt loading for some reason. can you get into safe mode? the obvious things to check for would be viruses, etc. also check your startup items as suggested above.

use recovery disk and use the repair make sure all files are working properly.

dude_se said:
your explorer.exe isnt loading for some reason. can you get into safe mode? the obvious things to check for would be viruses, etc. also check your startup items as suggested above.

Safe mode didn't work, as such. However, tried it again and was given the option to do a system restore. Did that and undid last system restore.

Sorted.

Cheers for the speedy assistance.

Daughter can use MSN messenger now - doohh!!!

Back
Top Bottom