laptop and web

frankyp

Beta member
hi, im looking to wiring a laptop up to the internet, however i want it run through a seperate line than my home phone line and I do not want a new line installed for it neither, also I would like it to be as portable as the laptop, so I can log on any where I am.

thanks

Thats pretty impossible then...

You wouldn't want to use the phone line anyway, because I'd be too slow, and wouldn't be portable.

Having a wireless connection would work, but I do believe you need some kind of extra connection to achieve this.

That said, there are many places that allow you to use laptops online if you have Wireless internet, but for house use, you'll need a connection coming from somewhere to then go wirelessly to your laptop.

A wireless pcmcia care for nailing WiFi hot spots would work. Some are free, some are not. However Verizon and Nextel have a wireless card and service to go with it. It piggybacks on thier cell service to let you roam just about anywhere they have towers.

DSL works like you want also. Just sign up for the service, pop in the filter and modem , then run the connection to a wireless router. A wireless card in the laptop completes the set up and lets you roam a short distance. 100 feet or so is about average.

If you want internet at home you'll need an internet connection - if you don't want to engage your phone it'll have to be Cable or (A)DSL

Back
Top Bottom