Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Laptop vs PC thread...pertaining to University Program

Hey everyone, I am new to the forums!

I am currently going into grade 12. I have plans to go into Biomedical Engineering, hopefully at an American school (I live in canada). Recently I have had ambitions to build my own PC, but on the other hand, I also want a laptop. I like the pure computing power, stability, and reliability of a PC; on the other hand, I like the mobility of a Laptop. I go to a private school, so all of the students have Dell D610s - its very handy to be able to work in the library, or do some work while travelling to a football game. Though, we do have alot of problems with them - luckily Dell has placed 5 technicians at our school, and will fix ANY problem we have onsite. My question is, from strictly a Biomedical Engineering program point of view, would I be better served by purchasing a laptop, or building my own computer? Id love to be able to draw diagrams on a tablet, and do work in the library, but I know it wont be very reliable.
Any help would be appreciated!

trapstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
Send a message via MSN to Š88
Default Re: Laptop vs PC thread...pertaining to University Program

well, IMO it sounds like a laptop will better suit your needs judging by what you've already said. And besides, you can still get a laptop with considerable power if thats what you really want. The downside to that however is a low battery life. I would only recommend a PC if you are into gaming or computer rendering where the computer becomes very graphics orientated.

Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Laptop vs PC thread...pertaining to University Program

I don't know if they still make them but Dell had a portable desktop, i think that was what it was called. It was thicker and heavier but had a normal processor in it and was more like an oversized laptop still portable though.
hascet is offline   Reply With Quote